theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
did ammonia and nitrite come down to 4 and two?

Either way, if nitrates are rising then the cycle is complete. For first cycle, before you do a water change, would wait to see if ammonia and nitrite comes down, or until nitrate goes up to 15, which ever comes first.

Last edited:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
How long has the tank been set?

I receommend the following:

After putting in stuff to help cycle (whatever it was), Test once a week. After that test, do a water change.

Same day next week, test again. Do same amount of water change

3rd Week, same thing test same day and same amount of water change.

4 week test. If that 4th week is on a downward cycle, wait one more week. Test, do water change and then test again after the full amount of water change has had time to cycle through. Evaluate from there if it's worth adding inverts/animals etc.

House

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
how is cycle complete at 4 ppm ammonia???
Uhh, because there's nitrates. Nitrates is the end result. Meaning, and showing that all parts of the cycle are present. What that doesn't mean, and what i didn't say, was that the tank is ready for fish, or the cycle is stable enough for that yet, as House's post points out. While House's post is IMO a bit extreme, with 2 shrimp decaying in 29gal for a week and a half, probably good advice, and certainly a safe route to take.

Frankie_Marble

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We are here to help each other, right? There's more then 1 way to skin a cat, we all know that. I have always used raw shrimp to cycle a tank because I believe it's the most natural approach. I've never used any chemical or additive to jump start anything. That doesn't mean other ways won't work. I'll say this though, your cycle is not complete until there is 0 ammonia, 0 NO2,& your NO3 is on the rise. At that point you should do your first water change & start adding live stock very slowly. The reefing hobby is best enjoyed when you have patience, slow & steady will give you the best experience & least amount of problems. I hope this helps & good luck with your build. Peace

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: