• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Reefer Dude1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what was called an Atlantic Anenome. I bought it a long time ago, it was actually the first thing I gought for my tank. Of course I did not research on it, and now that I am more experienced and wiser I am trying to find out more about it. I have been told there are only a few clowns that will take to an Atlantic Anenome. Does anyone know what those are. I have moved it to a different tank (It was getting way to big in my nice show tank) and would like to see if I can get a clown for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an atlantic carpet anemonie. It ate one clown and my lawnmower blenny. I took it back to the pet shop.

-Nathan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atlantic Anemones are notorious for eating fish,including clownfish. Clowns may not adapt to the atlantic anemone due to it's prodigious sting. It has one of the strongest stings around. More than likely it will eat any clown you throw at it.

GL

Dan

DJ88

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will depend on the fish. Yes they have a powerful sting(I know ask my fingers), not more powerful than the saddleback I have tho. My g/f's pair of true percs love the Condy I put in her tank. And before that a pair of false percs called it home when I had it in another tank I tore down.

I think it will depend. They are highly mobile tho. The one my g/f has moves constantly. It doesn't rest in one spot like my BTA or saddleback.

IME

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on the anemone in which we are talking about. If you are talking about a C.gigantea,yes you can keep clowns with them even though they are not a natural host.

Now if you are talking about Stichodactyla helianthus(Atlantic Carpet Anemone) I would advise extreme caution when adding a clownfish. A.percula has been know to accept this anemone but is equally know to be accepted as a meal. You would have more luck with comensal shrimps like P.yucatanicus or other Periclimenes species. They are also well know for killing corals as it walks accross that beautiful reef tank.

GL

Dan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is an Atlantic anemone and a Florida anemone the same apple?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could be if you are using common names.

Now using their true names they could be totally different.

Condylactis gigantea-Condy,Atlantic anemone,Haitian anemone,Florida anemone,Florida/Haitian pink tipped anemone.......and so on.

Stichodactyla helianthus-Atlantic anemone,Atlantic carpet anemone,Sun anemone.......and so on.

C.gigantea can house A.clarkii or A.frenatus and ocassionally A.percula.But they could easily be eaten while trying to assimilate to the anemone. It is not a natural host for any anemonefish. It is also a walker and a voratious eater.

S.helianthus may be accepted by A.percula but is often consumed trying. This anemone also hails from the Caribbean and is not a natural host for any anemonefish. This anemone is also a walker and has one of the most potent stings.

GL

Dan

24Tom

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also bought a condy before I was well read.
It is now a year and a half old. For the first year it was in a ten gallon tank with a very small tomato clown and a yellow tail damsel. The tomato clown never used it as a host,it prefered mushrooms.

Now it is in a thirty gallon tank. It hasn't moved in six months.It is very healthy and has tripled in size. I am going to try another small tomato when I find one. I did have an algae blenny disappear and the Condy is the only thing in the tank that could eat it.

If your tank is under stocked I say try some type of clown fish.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: