Laurie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called them but they said they have it made up special. I need something close to stain my DIY hood. Has anybody come close? I know there are several whitewashes on the market but the stand looks a little different
from what I have seen in stores.

TIA - Laurie

fudge1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laurie,

A washed stain is usually a regular pearl stain used on oak,then it is sealed with a coat of laquer.
After sealing,pearl is applied again until desired tone is achieved and then it is re-laquered.

Unfortunatly,it is a difficult stain to match and apply,as it is done in batches when manufactured.

Your best chance of sucsess would be to build the canopy and then take the stand(or a door off of it) and canopy to a furniture manufacturer to be done....im sure even then it will not be an exact match,but maybe satisfactory.

Marc.

Phishmon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
white was h it
then lacquer it
then use a spray on finish like the oak finishes
there is a pearl one that give it that antique glazed look

Ive matched them before but it isnt easy

Laurie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Groan - sounds like a pain. Too bad I don't like their canopy - at least not for my lighting set up.

Thanks

Laurie

JMKirk

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dog scratched my med. oak Oceanic stand last month. Chech the www.minwax.com or a similar company - and look under stains (they also make water-based stains). You may find a match there - I did.

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming you bought the stand from OCeanic and an Oceanic tank. They won't sell you some to stain your hood to match?

DEADFISH1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank with the same finish, I was thinking about buying another one of their hoods and stacking them together, you could take the lid of the first one and mount the new one on top with wood mounted by screws on the inside, it would give you I guess about 16" of clearance, but it sounds like you have already made your hood.
another hood for my Oceanic 58 reef is priced at $168.00

Laurie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MyReef - It's a shame, ain't it? You know how much a 200 gal. stand and tank costs. Think I'll give 'em a call again today and gripe a little bit.

Hi Deadfish - Ewwww! I don't like your board name AT ALL!
icon_wink.gif
That sounds like a good idea except for the fact that this is a 200 gal. tank and double canopies aren't in the $$ equation. I checked out their hoods when we were looking and to tell you the truth those lids are way too heavy for me. Plus, I am 5'3" tall, the tank on the stand comes up to the middle of my nose. I can stand on a step stool and just touch the bottom. If we had a canopy on this thing we'd have to hook up a winch and pulleys and lower The Fishwife down into the tank to do any work. hehehe! I can see it now!
icon_wink.gif

Laurie

DEADFISH1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Laurie:
<STRONG>MyReef - It's a shame, ain't it? You know how much a 200 gal. stand and tank costs. Think I'll give 'em a call again today and gripe a little bit.

Hi Deadfish - Ewwww! I don't like your board name AT ALL!
icon_wink.gif
That sounds like a good idea except for the fact that this is a 200 gal. tank and double canopies aren't in the $$ equation. I checked out their hoods when we were looking and to tell you the truth those lids are way too heavy for me. Plus, I am 5'3" tall, the tank on the stand comes up to the middle of my nose. I can stand on a step stool and just touch the bottom. If we had a canopy on this thing we'd have to hook up a winch and pulleys and lower The Fishwife down into the tank to do any work. hehehe! I can see it now!
icon_wink.gif

Laurie</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey, I like my name, you know everyone has had a DEADFISH at one time or other, it was a choice between that or STINKYFISH, your right though, a double 200 gal. canopy would be extremely heavy, a double 58 gal. is going to be heavy enough.
icon_eek.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: