a novice

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
First of all, I'm a beginner with marine tanks and I'm in the process of starting a 65 gallon FOWLR tank.
Origanally, I was going to stick with smaller(under 3 inches) beginner fish but then I found a niger triggerfish and fell in love. Here are my questions:
Is my tank large enough? Being that it's not a reef tank, there is quite a bit of open water that is unobstructed for swimming.
How big do they get? I've read everywhere from 6 to 14. Where I've read, they get to about 8 inches in captivity and 20 in the wild.
Aggressiveness? I've read that they are fairly aggressive which is one reason why I'm thinking of getting a black finned triggerfish. Supposedly, the black finned trigger fish is okay in a community tank. One problem, I can't find the black finned anywhere locally. I'm going to start looking mail order to see if they're even avialable.
If you could share your experiences with triggerfish or answer any of my questions it would great! Thanks so much!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, a 65 gallon is not big enough for any trigger. The niger is one of the lesser aggressive triggers, so being with other fish shouldn't be a problem unless you're stocking with anthias and other peaceful fish. They do get fairly large, even in captivity. Plus, gallonage doesn't really matter as far as triggers go...it's all about having room to swim. I wouldn't put a trigger in anything less than a 75, and even that is a bit cramped when they get full grown, especially with other fish in the tank.

Hope this helps ya out.

Peace,

Chip

Picasso1

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a niger trigger in my 55gal FOWLR. He is the most peaceful fish in the tank. Well, He gets kind of nasty at feeding time. I agree about the size. I need to upgrade by the end of the summer. My tank has a few inverts. Other that picking up the hermits and throwing them across the tank. No harm done. His tankmates include a Cinnamon Clown and a yellow tang.(yes.. I know, I need a larger tank.)
The niger trigger is probably the most docile of the triggers. I have not had any problems with mine.

pathos

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A niger trigerfish was the first marine fish i bought when i switched from fresh to salt water three years ago. i have kept him ever since, and have built my 29 gallon FOWLR tank around him. Mine is the most incredible and hardy fish I have ever had, having survived a 3 day trip across the Mojave desert in August in a 5 gallon container in the front seat of a U-haul with only a battery operated air pump! When I bought him he was about 1.5" long and 3 years later he's about 2.5" long. It's true that they do grow in proportion to the tank size they're in. They have a great personality and swim with pure finesse, and they are smart enough to recognize you when you walk up to the tank. Mine even changes colors from black to iridescent blue and then back again when I get close to the tank. In my opinion, however, they should not be considered a community fish, as they are a bit aggressive (although the aggression varies from trigger to trigger, regardless of species). If you want to keep triggers i'd go with a preador type tank (no "peaceful" fish), with eels, groupers, lionfish, etc. or even an all trigger tank, since there are so many beautiful species of triggers. Just make sure all the fish are about the same size and you re-arrange all the LR and feed like crazy just before introducing a new fish. If you want a more peaceful community tank then i'd shy away from purchasing a trigger. Just my opinion/experience - hope it helps!

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Trigger in a 29?
icon_confused.gif
I dont even know what to say, that must have been some type of joke post.
Steve

DJ88

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing just how big triggers can get(saw an 18inch Niger) I will never get another. I had a Bursa, Niger and an Undulated. They will out grow your tank. Especially if fed properly. I have since sold my triggers and would only think about putting one of these fellas in a large tank. 90 plus. That is my opinion tho.

I will say they are awesome fish. I used to play with the bursa(spinning it in circles at the waters surface). Everytime I walked by the tank it's colors would go so bright. It was bought by someone who loved the fact it craved attention. My Niger was the meanest by far. Out of character I know, but was it ever a pretty fish..
icon_smile.gif
All three were awesome at digging and rearranging the tanks they were in..

They will out grow your tank.. Given time and proper feeding.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"It's true that they do grow in proportion to the tank size they're in."

Translation = stunted growth & shortened life span

I have a picasso in a 110, and that's the smallest tank size I'd put a trigger in...

Peace,

Chip

a novice

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies. What is the smallest triggerfish? I'm thinking of upgrading to a larger tank just to accomadate this type of fish.... or stick with a 65g with the intention to upgrade later.
Nobody has commented on the black finned triggerfish.... know anything about them? I've looked some amount on the web and havent' found any sites that supply them. What is the general rule on inches to gallons for salt water fish? I know for freshwater it's one inch to three gallons. Thanks for all of this information... it's stuff that you can't learn out of a book.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Finned Triggers are actually Melichthys indicus. If you did a search on that name you might come up with more info.
They grow to about 10" and feed primarly on sponges, algae, crustaceans and other zoobenthos and are found in the Indian Ocean.
As far as who carries them, I don't get involved in that.

Regards,
David Mohr

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your original plan is the best plan.
For the reasons given, stick with the small beginner fish. Ask for advise and only add one a month and you will do just great.
Thak you

gkrane

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely dont want to put any trigger in a 65. Even if they are are less aggressive species such as the niger, the reduced space will probably increase the likelyhood that he will exhibit aggressive behavior. It wouldnt bee to long before the 65 was outgrown anyway. Triggers are very interesting fish but make sure you have adequate room if you plan to purchase one.

a novice

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your input. I think that I will hold off with the triggerfish until I upgrade to a bigger tank(long time, very long time) What about a filefish? I've heard that they're hardy/easier care fish. It's so confusing... My first source of information was a book called The Tropical Marine Fish Survival Manual by Gordan Kay with consultant Nick Dakin. I keep the book by the computer to quickly look up a type of fish. In the book theres a little Q & A thing where this reader asks if s/he could add a triggerfish to her 50 gallon tank which already houses a King Angel and a lionfish. The answer that the book gave was: "Absolutely, as long as you don't over stock. Your tank problaby only contains 40 gallons when displacement is accounted for, so your maximum fish holding capacity is therefore 20 in."
Is this book incorrect? It's a newer book, published in 1995 so I would expect the information to be somewhat correct.
Thanks for all the info, and I'll update you later this week with a list of possible species to stock my tank. Thanks

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: a novice ]

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Novice, my thoughts on the info you gave from this book is its dead wrong, "as long as you dont overstock", that tank is already overstocked. I know that books are expensive, but if you use this book for a reference it will cost you alot more in livestock deaths. My suggestion would be to find the nearest garbage can and deposit this book in it.
Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Grab some marshmallows and a long stick, make a little fire with this book, and enjoy the toasting...

Man, even just a full-grown lionfish in a 50 gallon is overstocking, IMHO...

Peace,

Chip

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: marillion ]

Tanu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like lots of fish in my tank, but this is way too much, even imo..
When you have a tank with lots of corals, trouble with nitrates and so on are less, as the corals absorb the nitrates and use them as 'fertilizer' for their zooxanthellae..

But: in a 29 gallon I wouldn't keep a trigger.. Better keep some clownfish, or some royal gramma's..

Tanu www.tanu.nl

DonK

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Novice:

Get Scott Michael's book:
"Marine Fish 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species"

Great book and his recommendations on tank size generally seem to be more in line with advice you'll get here; though he is not always as conservative.

His recommendations regarding smallest tank size for triggers:
Niger 75G
Undulate 55G
Picasso 55G
Clown 135G
Queen 200G
Blueline 200G
Pinktail 75G
(he has a few more in the book)

DonK

a novice

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me clear something up...My reference to the insert in the book was something that I found interesting... not something that I would consider doing. Even me, a novice, wouldn't put that many, and that large, of fish in that size tank.
I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do but here are my two possible plans:
upgrade to a larger tank(75/90) and get a picasso or smaller species and maybe one or two small fishies.
second option is stick with the 65 gallon and get some interesting smaller fish.
Thank you for all you help it's all needed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: