mrfish

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay....after deciding what kind of lights i want...now we move onto the water chemistry
icon_wink.gif
I am just starting out with a 30gal tank so i was wondering if a RO unit was REALLY necessary? and the DI? I've read quite a few posts on this topic and it seems that many of you strongly recommend to get a RO/DI unit...because of the hair algae growth? (this is going to sound really stupid...but...isn't there a type of marine "pl*co"?) Thanks a bunch!
icon_smile.gif

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself and your tank a favor, at least get a DI unit. The TWP is a good start. Your water needs will be modest with a 30 gallon tank, but if you upgrade, you will most likely want to get an RO unit. I just bought a 3-stage Dolphin from AquaFX and am very happy with the unit.

HTH

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself and your tank a favor, at least get a DI unit. The TWP is a good start. Your water needs will be modest with a 30 gallon tank, but if you upgrade, you will most likely want to get an RO unit. I just bought a 3-stage Dolphin from AquaFX and am very happy with the unit.

HTH

fishfarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on your water source and whats in it. If you know whats in your tap water, you make the decision. I've used well water without any noticable problems, but I do know whats in it and it is a reliable source. If using city tap, there usually is all sorts of "bad" things in it and it may change seosonally depending on what the water company flushes through the system. A tap water purifier(DI) whould be an excellent choice for your size system and you can increase the longevity of the resins by using an RO unit before it if needed.

Jrsydevi1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, DI is a must, at minimum..

Look at it this way.. Even at a modest 30 gal. (btw mine is a modest 29) You can plan on spending a nice chunk of change, and alot of time on your system, and you will come to love it, if not obsess over it..
Don't trust the health and appearance of your little biosphere to the local water company, the winds of fate, chance, karma, or your biorythm...
icon_wink.gif

Start with water you KNOW is free of all the evil elements, beleive me.. you'll be glad you did.

fish tales

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want a ro/di . Its better to be safe than sorry. Unless you like the chance of picking algae all day. Some people dont use them or dont need them but when I didnt have one I had hair algae galore. HTH
Jeff

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MrFish,

All you want is a DI, well then, get yourself a Tap Water Purifier(TWP) from among others, www.thatpetplace.com That is what I started with. As stated previously, you can always upgrade to an RO unit and have the output water from the RO go thru your TWP. The replacement cartridges run around $13-$15. Thatpetplace also sells the refill cartridges.

HTH

bowfront

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for a product called the Tap Water Purifier if you want DI only. Plenty of the MO's carrry it if your LFS doesn't. Should cost you in the neigborhood of $30-40 if I recall correctly. These things give you roughly 50g of water between cartridges depending on your water quaility.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: