phoenix1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading from 2x175MH to 2x 400MH. Any suggestions about acclimating the tank to the new 400's. I will have them at the same height initially as the 175's - can't put them any higher. Waiting for suggestions before I install. Thanks

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added 3 175W MH to my current setup that previously had only 440W of VHO. The procedure I used was to run the MH for three hours in the morning, then off for 6 hours, then for three hours in the evening. I gradually increased the MH period by 1/2 hour on each end about once a week until I got to the point where the run times "met in the middle." No bleaching or other adverse affects to any of my corals.

HTH

phoenix1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks James - that was what I was thinking of doing. How long did you keep this period going until you were running the complete photo period?

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it a little faster than recommended because my corals didn't exhibit any adverse affects. I believe it took 4-5 weeks to get them up to the full photoperiod. Just take it slow and if you see any bleaching or other adverse affects, cut back.

dsb1829

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the same upgrade back in April. Actually I am just now getting up to full photoperiod. I had two setbacks (circuit blew in appartment, and swapped tanks). I held the photoperiod for both of these periods. I just started to increase the photoperiod again after the swap. I have done this pretty slow, but have not suffered any bleaching or coral losses.

Here was the initial plan. Bulbs swapping from 175w Ushio to 400w Iwasaki. Start out at 2.5hr/day photoperiod, increase by 15min every 3 days. This leads to about a 10wk adaptation period, which IMO is still very fast for low light corals.

I keep a mixed tank and didn't want to harm any of my lps and softies. All have dealt very well with the change. There are some tell-tale signs to check for as you increase the photoperiod. Watch the corals
icon_smile.gif
. If they open up very large at the start of the photoperiod, but seem to wilt before the end you are going to fast. Basically hold that light level until the corals can hang through the entire photoperiod before continuing to extend the period. I had a few stages along the way that I had to hold for 5-6 days before all was well to carry on. My best advice is be patient. It won't kill you if it takes a week or two longer to get through this, but it could kill your coral.

Good luck with the upgrade, I am sure you will share my success
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: