SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chris and 6_line, if you believe your methods are viable, then more power to you. What I am having a bit of trouble understanding is why when presented with the "mixing Tangs" thread on RC and told that your method was not a good one you just let it go, and yet you come here and say that people in "general" are fools who disagree with your methods. You seem to be very confident in your methods on this board, but not RC.
As far as experienced reefers, I look to the people with not only years of experience, but also those who can back up their methodologies under peer review. I also look to a maturity level that does not have to use name calling to try and make their point.
Steve

6_line

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To begin with,
I don't advocate mixing tangs; I've never done so and i doubt if I'll ever own a tank large enough to be comfortable doing so (I'd say a 180, for two smaller species--but this is my opinion). At best, I'll only have one tang in my tank--whenever I upgrade-- I don't have one now in my 55.
Even though I support Chris and what he has done with his setup, it's not something I'd recommend or attempt myself.
I just denounce the theory that no Tang can be kept in a Tank below 125 gallons. I guess I'm in the minority here when I say it's not unethical to keep a tang in a moderate sized aquarium--but I know many, many people do and they don't consider themselves unethical
Plus, I never saw the mixing Tangs thread on RC, at least I never read or responded to it.
And as far as the name calling, Chris used a generalized term 'some fool' I believe the offended and yourself have taken the comment too seriously. I believe it was a non-specific generalization and not an intended insult.....

6_line

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
esmithiii--

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>There are many people who post often enough in response to some question or other that are looking for help who get "your tank is too small and you are a cruel reefkeeper." Those comments come often enough from the same people that I find myself saying to myself "great, another post by so-and-so." I perceve (I could be wrong here) that others feel as I do.

I do appreciate all the advice and information I get from most of those people, but could do without the rhetoric. I have learned so much here. I think that some people have "big tank syndrome:" the idea that because my tank is bigger than yours, I am providing a happy, healthy, ethically contientious home for my fish, and you are not!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with this statement. Although I don't relate chicken nuggets and chicken with my fish, they are animals nonetheless and I believe in an ethical treatment of them...just perhaps not by some other's higher standards. Now if we were talking about cramping a Tang in a 29 or a 15 gallon, I wouldn't hesitate to complain because, obviously, those tanks are simply too small. A four foot tank is much better, IMO, and if I were a fish, doomed from capture and stuck in a glass cubicle at the LFS, then I would relish a 75 gallon tank filled with creatures and organisms from my native environment.
Chris did nothing wrong by his statements and if someone has decided to quit posting because of it, I believe there may be some sort of guilt trip involved.....

reefworm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris,
Well said, but there may be other viable explanations, besides guilt, for taking a breather from the board. My .02

goodnight everybody!
rw

jaydse

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL everyones tank must be doing great to get 65 post on ones persons hang up. why when a person has a serious question he only gets 2 or 3 answers? OR HOW ABOUT just saying hi! or good luck. (HI)MY NAME IS JAY how are you ?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You Know what

Most people are making very thought out very informed points. It is just a matter of differng approaches, there really is more than one way to "skin a cat" Once we get past th name calling and bent ego's these posts in general have a lot of useul information. There is nothing gong on that a few beers could not make us all feel good about each other or a couple of punches thrown
icon_smile.gif
maybe what the world needs is more Beer, I think I will go find one
icon_smile.gif

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will have to be a coke for me friends, I like beer so much I never knew when to quit
icon_sad.gif
Steve

murrayjim

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPC
You say "I look to the people with not only years of experience, but also those who can back up their methodologies under peer review". Hasn't Chris done that? He has posted his experience, I think he mentioned over 3 years with the tangs in question, and backed it with his methodologies and thoughts on why he has been successful. If that's not enough he posted a link to some very nice photos. If you are really interested in "ethical reef keeping"(oxymoron) why not ask Chris more questions? Find out what he's doing to successfully raise his tangs together. Wouldn't that information be helpful to you and others? I'm not sure how you, with no experience mixing tangs, can so easily dismiss his success.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
murrayjim
I keep tangs. Have for 8 years. Here is my experience and opinion on keeping both the yellow and purple together in one tank.
If you enjoy a cockfight place one purple tang into a small (however you define it)tank with a yellow. One will win and one will lose(it will be killed or stressed to the point that ich surfaces and it dies anyways). That is my experience.
Having stated the above, just like some cocks won't fight there will certainly be a yellow and purple that for some reason get along. The risk is too high IMO and increases with smaller tanks.
However, if you choose to try a yellow and purple tang only do so if you place them in a large tank at the same time. Keep the lights closed for a couple of days so they get used to the tank and eachother.
If in the next day or so the fighting is more than simply sparing remove the tang you choose and return it to the LFS or give it to a friend.
icon_wink.gif

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Murrayjim, I have not seen him back it up with the 10 and over group at reef central, I am surely not his peer, they would be alot closer. Eric Borneman did not call to run his ideas past me on his latest book, but he did ask qualified (proven) people to help him. Remember, I am a funny guy, I like to see things that are this controversial discussed among a group (not just one) of experienced Tang keepers.
Steve

murrayjim

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
naesco
I'm sorry to hear about the deaths of your tangs. I'm curious, have you tried keeping Tangs together using the method desribed by Chris?

SPC
I'm sure if you spoke to Eric Borneman he would be the first to tell you that he doesn't know everything there is to know about Tangs and that there is always something to be learned by other peoples experiences. Who knows we might be reading about Chris' success in his next book.
How long does Chris have to keep his tangs alive before his method is "proven"?

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
murrayjim, I am sure there are many questions that would have to be answered before a method can be proven. I dont have the questions, but I would bet that the 10 and over club would.
Steve

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Murrayjim, Chris isn't doing anything scientific here. The vast majority of people who've kept two different Zebrasoma species together have had problems. Chris is an exception, not a rule. It is one of those cases where it is much better to play the odds and not take the chance. The reason Steve is making the point about reefscentral is because there is a large group of experienced reefers there that are outspoken.

Comparing Borneman's work with corals to getting lucky with adding two different Zebrasomas to the same tank is way off. Eric definately wouldn't try a galaxy coral next to an open brain on the chance that it wouldn't get stung.

ophiuroid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by esmithiii:
<STRONG>ophiuroid:
Have you never bought collected specimines? I think the point is that many people on this board consistently take "the moral high ground" and spout off rhetoric about ethical practices when they themselves have lost fish to negligence, buy fish from sources that loose 50-80% of the fish/inverts taken from the natural habitat. Outraged or not, if you buy fish/inverts or even dry goods from a source that collects wild specimines then you too are no better than the poor soul who lost 30 fish (just more "enlightened.")

This is not a flame. I am not speaking to ophiuroid singly, but responding to her comments.

This board is about sharing information, not debating ethics. The phrase "you can catch more flys with honey than with vinager" is apropo. Many people are turned off when we give advice using smug language laced with overtones of moral superiority. Be kind and gentle when giving advice to someone who probably doesn't know better. Don't use this forum to remind everyone how much you care about the ethical/humane treatment of fish!
</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have explained my point of view on this a few times, and now I will do it again.

- Yes, I have bought wild caught specimens, and I learn about them to the best of my ability before hand, not relying solely on the LFS. Frankly, I am far better off than the person who lost the 30 fish, because they would never have come home with me. The tank was unsuitable, and the fish were unsuitable.

- It is the responsibility of someone, who is buying wild caught specimens, to prepare a proper environment for them. Sorry if you don't want to hear it, this is just being responsible.

- If I have a fish dies, that happens...two fish die and I wonder what's going on, three fish die and I really start to panic. I do not continue to add fish to the system, one after another, each dying in turn. It is irresponsible, if not attempt is made to determine the problem. It is not an acceptable part of the learning curve. These are mistakes that were made decades ago that do not need to be made now, because we understand more about the various technical and biological limitations of our tanks and their maturation. We are not talking about one or two fish dying in a tank, we are talking about 30 in a few months...that is the sort of statistic I am outraged over, just as I am with losses from poor collecting/poor transport/poor LFS conditions.

- Do you know where I shop?

- In the thread in question, I think you will find that there were "kind and gentle" replies and definite attempts to help the situation. There comes a point when that doesn't work any longer, and frustration sets in.

- Frankly, there are many, many animals that folks here keep that I think should no longer be available, because of extraordinarily low survival rates, or bad reputations in captivity.

- There are many, many who spout off about conditions in the LFS, and don't do much to improve the situations in their own tanks.

- Anyone who does any background reading, searches or asks questions on this board is already far above the learning curve in this hobby, and deserves that resepct. Regardless of their question, they should not be called idiots, fools, or cursed at. As I have said before, it is those who do not listen to varied advice that I grow frustrated with- those that ask, but already know the answer they want. I do not jump into threads on tangs and talk about tank size, or otherwise take the high ground when it comes to equipment or stocking (unless it is to defend a brittlestar, which I am sure you can understand, as I have studied them for most of my adult life...one gets a tad bit passionate about them!).
icon_biggrin.gif

- It is difficult for many to separate ethics/morals from the experiences, because their ethics/morals have been the basis for the construction of their tanks, stocking, etc. For people to leave it out of their replies, when it has so clearly molded their experience, is virtually impossible. I am always considering the welfare of these animals...very sorry...it is my moral point of view. I strongly believe that improvements must be demanded in the capture of these animals, and expect high standards in their keeping. If I see a slack LFS, with tanks full of crud and sick fish, I do not shop there, fish or otherwise. If you do not share this view as passionately, fine...that is your moral perspective thrown at me.

- I am sorry, I am a firm believer in responsibility....if you do your homework, have the proper tank, food and tankmates, shop reputable LFS's (it helps to know about the fish beforehand...if they try to push lots of fish or corals on you at once, don't have a good warranty, and in short will sell you anything, then be wary), etc, then great (even if the fish dies). You have been a responsible reefkeeper, you've done your best, and that is all I ask from my pedestal.
icon_wink.gif
If you lack the patience, then you are in the wrong hobby, and I will say that outright. Moral high ground or not...impatience is not a good personality trait in this hobby.

The overwhelming majority of fish collected for this hobby die, and their odds should *increase* when sent to their final destination, IMO...and I don't mean the trash!
icon_smile.gif
I hope that is what we all hope, regardless of how we try to make that point. I do expect people to be curteous, regardless of differences in opinion.

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> - Yes, I have bought wild caught specimens, and I learn about them to the best of my ability before hand, not relying solely on the LFS. Frankly, I am far better off than the person who lost the 30 fish, because they would never have come home with me. The tank was unsuitable, and the fish were unsuitable.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You missed the point. My point was that in purchasing wild caught specimines, you are funding an industry that makes the guy who lost over 30 fish look like a saint. You are culpable just as he is. There is no arguing it, no denying it. When you take the moral high ground you are simply perpetuating a hipocracy.

My point: We are ALL culpable, inhmane, cruel, etc. Saying that one person is less culpable because fewer fish die in his/her care is like saying that Hitler was less culpable than Stalin because Stalin killed more people. I am not saying that anyone is like either of these two men, just that no one here on this board can talk about ethical reefkeeping without invoking a certain deserved accusation of hipocracy.

Unless you purchase only captive propogated species, never buy from establishments that sell or trade wild caught specimines, never have a single specimine die, have a tank that is large enough to cover each of your specimines natural range, provide water parameters that match each of your species natural ranges, provide the proper diet for each species, keep only compatible species and provide the proper lighting then you have no chance of taking "the moral high ground"

I try to give my fish and inverts the best environment I can. I try to research the specimines as best I can before purchasing them. I try to glean the most information I can to keep my captives healthy and happy. There is no way that I can consider myself "ethical and envirnmentaly contientious."

This reply is not directed to any one person, and I hope it does not offend.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: