Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of upgrading to a 250w MH over my 29g. One of the reasons to do this is the ability to have clams. Since space is a premium in my tank I have to plan for the growth of my new guys.

With that being said....

With all conditions being in the norm what are the average annual growth rates of T.Maxima, Crocea, Squamosa and Derasa?

What is the recommended smallest size to start out with?

Any links to other info and recommended reading would help, too.

Thanks!

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jethro,

why's that? Tridacna maxima and T.crocea obtain a size of under 10" when mature (usually more like 7"). Almost all nutrional requirements can be met by photosynthesis. There's no reason why Tridacna's can't be kept in tanks as small as 10 gallons.

Growth can gain as much as 30% wet mass per year in captivity (10-20% shell length). Growth slows with maturity. Stick with T.maxima or T.crocea ... these will remain reasonably sized.

KenH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping Jethro is joking. If not, then the advice is at best incorrect. With a 250W MH over a 29gallon tank, keeping clams will not be a problem. Clams, other than possibly very small (<1" or so) juveniles are entirely photosynthetic. Lighting and water quality and not tank size is the issue with keeping clams.

Derasa's are easily the fastest growing and can get rather large. I have two, one of which started in a 20 gallon, which have grown from about 4" to 9" in about 2 years. They do have the ability to outgrow a tank your size given time.

Maxima, Crocea and Squamosa are all slower growing and remain smaller, although Squamosa can get fairly large. I have a Maxima that is 5 years old that started life in a 29 gallon tank. He has grown from about 1 1/2" to 4" in that time. I personally find that Croceas tend to be the most delicate of these three. You might find some useful info on clams on my website as well as useful links here: http://www.reefcorner.com/clams.htm

--- Ken

KenH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jethro, I thought that may be the case, but I did not want to say the 'T' word for fear of messing up this thread. I am sure there are people who do nothing but spend the day doing searches on that word so that they can educate the uneducated in this hobby.

--- Ken

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jethro- LMAO

KenH- Well put.

All- good info. How should I acclimate clams? How would I acclimate them if I got some MO and didn't know the previous lighting levels? Any tips on ordering MO?

E

KenH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think that acclimating clams can be a little tricky. They tend to not show signs of light starvation until they are already on the way out and many clams have been kept/transported in less than ideal conditions.

Since they can adapt somewhat to the light by how much they extend their mantle, I tend to error on the side of too much light right off the bat if I don't know what the conditions were that they were kept in prior to my purchase. My logic is that if the clam is already light deprived, keeping them in low light for a week or two may throw them over the edge. I am not sure that is always the best tact to take however.

-- Ken

jethro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was pure sarcasm based on the "Tang Growth" thread in which Tangs require a minimum of 100,000 gallon tanks. Meanwhile, it is ok to keep Shamu in a swimming pool.

dvmsn

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be carefull that you slowly aclimate your clams to the halides. I lost a nice maxima when I switched my 30 over to halides.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: