EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, none. You probably won't find that a common reply. I do frequent water changes, have never added an additive, (well, except to dire consequences).

So many variables.

Emperator

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I dose are Seachem Reef Complete 3-4x a week and I top off all evaporated water with kalkwasser.

BTW, once I began topping off with kalkwasser, my coralline growth improved drastically.

HTH

slash7

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences are the same Emperator, when I started replacing all my evaporation with kalkwasser, coralline growth just exploded. I've used many other methods to keep calcium and alk at exactly the same levels I have now with kalkwasser and some occasional additions of buffer, but the coralline growth paled compared to now. Kalkwasser is king for coralline growth.
icon_biggrin.gif

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tetra,

What is your PO4 readings? Coralline growth is limited with high PO4. Adding Kalk helps to precipertate PO4 out of solution.

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at a shop, so i get these for cheap.

Knop additives

Coral vit j
Coral vit combi
Strontium & Molybendum
Iodene

Mark Weiss

Spectra Vital
Black Powder

preveous to using the spectra vital and the black powder i was using LSB & Reef DNA which seemed to yeald better results.

My rocks seem to be allmost 50 % corraline and 50 % small calcious red fan worms.

I only have a 25 gallon tank so the suppliments last a long time, i am also using a Titan protien skimmer, so i feel that the water is heavily skimmed and therefore these additives are more benificial to me than if i were running a seaclone for example. The only additive i test for is Iodene but i find the test kit very hard to use, and more recently have been trying to dose intuitively as my torch coral seems to react quickly to the addition of this trace element. This is also in conjunction with a calcium reactor and re-mineral m. I am soon to exchange the remineral-m for kalkwasser. Hopefully i should be able to cultivate some branching corraline algie. I have heard allot of reef keepers that only use a calcium reactor and kalkwasser though, but i suppose that greatly depends on the quality of your salt, i use reef crystals, but in future i want to try a two part salt mix as i have heard that the reef crystals can give uequal ammounts in every solution mixed.

You could say that my tank has more dope running through it than an LA hooker on Friday night. But im just playing around with them at the moment. I want to use less in the future when i get the kalkwasser sorted.

tetra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damnhippo, I don't test for anything except for Ca and Alk. I dose b-ionic daily with kalwasser twice a week for topping off. I guess it is going to take time cause I've just upgraded to a 60gal. I am still going through the algae cycle I guess. Looks like everyone got a different formula. This grasshopper has to be a little more patient...hehehehe....

Mouse, wow you put everything. I got to find myself a job at the lfs or something. It is way cool to get all the discount.

Thank for the replies boys and girls...anyone else?

botp2k1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tetra:
<STRONG>What are your additives?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I monitor calcium and alkalinity. I perform regular water changes. My tank is fairly new and I see coralline specs popping up in the tank.

DaktariEd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gal reef, set up a year ago.Corals and coralline algae growing great.

I dose Seachem Reef Advantage twice a week, and drip Seachem Reef calcium in my topoff water at 30 ml/hr. I may add additional calcium if my testing shows levels are dropping.

Once a week I tweak the pH with Seachem Marine Buffer if needed.

I'm setting up a refugium to grow macroalgae that I hope will reduce the day/night pH fluctuations. I hope that will reduce my pH tweaking as well.

I also add 2 cc of iodine once every week or two. I can't seem to get a good reading on the test kit, so I'm using intuition on that.

HTH,

Ed
icon_smile.gif

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: DaktariEd ]

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most important comment being:
Don't just throw stuff in your tank. If you throw in kalk without testing and have extremely high levels, because three of the general additives (like to your food) have high levels of that.. lol. There may be a problem. I don't dose kalk, for this reason.

Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24/7 kalk dosing w/ a kent float and gravity fed bottle. add a few ml of seachem ca+ when i feel like it. then just a basic sup. like reef complete or something for mag, iodine. and water changes

later
Lunchbucket

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I have a 6 gallon eclipse tank that houses a sexy shrimp. I haven't done a water change on it in three months and I rarely add make up water. Yet I have huge plate like coraline growth all over the tank. Meanwhile in my 55 with regular additions of additives I have relatively little. Go figure.

Glenn

fishfarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38 gal tank. I dose kalkwasser 24/7 in topoff water. In a year's time I went through a pound of calcium hydroxide. I've been using garden variety hydrated lime for the past few months. I do 10% H20 change and monitor calcium, alk, and pH twice a month. If I scrape the back glass it takes about three months to cover again.

bigtank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use:
Turbo Calcium
Kent CB A&B
Coral Vite
Strontium/Molybdenum
Tech I

I have coralline all over in a 70g reef. Once it gets going, it grows like mad.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: