Bobzarry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recieved 2 metal halide hamilton fixtures with what I belive are 175 55k bulbs. They were a gift from a friend that upgraded. I plan to put these over my 55 wich now has 3 96w 10k PC. I will be using 2 of the PC's with "atinics".
icon_rolleyes.gif

Now my question: if I cut an opening in my hood for the lights can they rest on the wood encloser or will they be too hot?

If they will be too hot what would you sugest as a way to include them?

any help would be apreciated.

Bob

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired a 250 MH and built the hood. I used a design that leaves the top completely open and the whole front panel lifts open. I have very little light coming ot of the top, or at least a lot less than I was expecting. All the heat rises, my temp has not risen one degree in the water.
The actinic lights below are barely warm. The MH enclosure is hot enough to cook an egg on top. It sits on top of the hood and about 10 inches above the water. The wood is not hot around it.

I hope some of this can be of help.

srbayless

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I would say that putting the pendants right on the wood would be a bad idea. I had a 250w hamilton pendant a while back, and I recall that it got hot.

My suggestion would be to cut larger holes in the top of the hood. Make them so there is about 2-3" of space around the pendants when you put them in the holes. Making the holes that much bigger will allow more air to circulate around the pendants and allow heat to escape from the hood.

The other suggestion I have is to build a new hood, much like Fishaholic did. I would make one with an open top, with a wide enough lip around the sided to mount the PC lights.

I would also make the hood taller than normal, say 18" or so. This way, you can suspend the pendants down "inside" the hood. This way there won't be alot of stray light going into the room.

If you are feeling very adventurous, and are good with electrical wiring, you can get rid of the pendants all together. As I recall, you can unwire the mogul socket from the pendant, and then just put the socket in the hood like a retrofit.

Good luck,

Scott.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: