• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mgk65

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to create a new Reef Chemistry Calculator for calcium and alkalinity products.

It is curently in a beta state, but useful.

It allows you to provide current values, desired values, and pick different commercial and household products. It will then calculate how many tsp or ml are required to boost to the desired level. In addition, it will calculate the balanced alk or ca, respectively, of your desired value.

It currently calculates SeaChem, some ESV, some Kent Marine products, anhydrous CaCl2, washing soda and baking soda.

I need help with different products and the calculations for them to alter Ca or alk. If you happen to use a product that I don't have in the calculator, please post the product name and the calculation for it and I will include it.

Check it out at www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm

mgk

Reefguide

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, Thats helpful ! Thanks man.

If you don't mind me asking, have you checked the accuracy of this calculator? I need to boost mine levels a bit, I'm using B-Ionic and I'd be happy to send you the results....

mgk65

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've based my calculations on what the vendors have on their packaging or on their web site, if I don't have any.

I'd like to nip any problems with the calculations in the bud.

If you have any questions regarding the accuracy, additional products or comments, please post it here.

thanks!
mgk

robertnb64

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice program! I think an added bonus would be how to add the right amount over what period of time.

My Ca is 330, I want 425. Based on your calc. I need 771ml of ESV part 2. I know I cant add that much in a day. Should I divide that by a week, month etc?

Otherwise nice work, look forward to added probucts as well as kalk.

Lynn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! thats great!
One question...is C-balance by two little fishes the same as the B ionic??I mean can I use your calculation for this product ?

dgasmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, according to the calculator I need over 2.3 liters of B-ionic to boost the levels to where I wanted it before the Ca reactor. I guess I was completely undershooting by just adding about 100 cc of each solution per day!

mgk65

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!

To answer a couple of questions:

1) This is meant to be a guideline. The calculations right now cannot determine the side effects of chemical additions at this time; use common sense and the detailed directions of each product.

2) I'll try to think of a way to add time into the dosage schedule, but at this time this program only suggests the total needed, not over time.

3) B-Ionic is made by ESV, while C-Balance is made by Two Little Fishies.

In particular, ESV states this in their directions:
For B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System:
Our recommended starting dose is 1 ml. of each component per 4 gallons of aquarium capacity per day. Maintain alkalinity between 3.0 and 3.75 meq/liter (8.4 and 10.5 dKH) by testing daily and adjusting dose accordingly. Depending on the degree of calcification occurring in the aquarium, dose may have to be significantly increased over our recommended starting dose. Never add more than 1 ml. per gallon of each component in a 24 hour period, and never allow pH to rise above 8.45. Once the proper dose has been determined for your aquarium, testing can be performed less frequently. If your aquarium tends to run at a higher pH (over 8.45) we suggest you try our B-Ionic Calcium Bicarbonate System. When using kalkwasser in addition to B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System, follow the above procedure but start with 1 ml of each component per 8 gallons of aquarium capacity per day. For more detailed directions please refer to our product label.

Component #1 - Carbonate Alkalinity: 2800 meq/liter (7840 dKH). 1 ml per gallon of aquarium water will raise alkalinity by 0.74 meq/liter (2.07 dKH).
Component #2 - Calcium Concentration: 54,000 ppm calcium ion. 1 ml per gallon of aquarium water will raise calcium concentration by 16ppm.

mgk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: