clk2609

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't have actual experience but i do hear they are "jumpers", big chance to take unless you have some sort of cover... even that eggcrate(light diffuser) could work as a cover.

sorry, hope this helps

Palmetto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green brittlestar used to eat them too fast for them to jump out.

8O

I haven't had a jumper that I know of.

Marcosreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will jump. I lost my only one yesterday this way. Please keep a covered tank when housing these species. :cry:

Marco

t-byrd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put a lid on it.
i bought two, put them in the tank, and one jumped out of
the small opening at the back only 1 1/2 inches wide so i thought that would be ok to leave uncovered but he found it. the first night he was in the tank.

Christyf5

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a lid. My firefish ricochets off the hood sometimes when something scares him. Scares the crap out of me. He's only done it twice in 2 years to my knowledge. Man those fish can move. I bet he could get some incredible airtime if I didn't have the lid on.

Christy :)

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept one in an open top tank without it jumping. It was 80 gallons and he rarely strayed more than a few inches from his hole at the bottom. In the future, I will keep a top on. I think I was pretty lucky to not have him jump...

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish go balistic to excapes from various things. If you keep multiple firefish, or other fish that will bother them, they likely will jump. They will also jump at night when the light turn out quickly all at once without warning.
My firefish in a 90 g tank never jumped (3 years)
BTW, fire fish do not live in group in aquarium. Pair or single only. They will chase and kill each other in the confind of the aquarium, even in my 450 g tank.
Minh

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nice purple firefish in my 10 gallon nano tank -- with lid on excelt for a small opening where powerhead/heater wires enter the tank. I assume he found it last week. Been MIA. I've had him for many months. Never noticed any previous jump attempts.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: