• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fyrefysh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at changing the color of my halide from a standard Coralife 10,000K bulb to a nice CRISP blue bulb that brings out the fluorescence in my corals, etc. I don't want a white bulb with a tinge of blue, I'm looking for something on the bluer side. I've looked at the 20,000K and 14,000K bulbs and have never seen either in person. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations? Please let me know.

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Giesemann 150 watt 14.5k and it is not that blue IMO, also as you said the Coralife 10k is not blue more yellow IMO. I was thinking of trying somthing in the 20k range, possibly the XM, or Ushio but have not tried them yet.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both the 150W and 250W Phoenix bulbs. I'm pretty sure it's exactly what you're looking for. Affordable, 'made in Japan' quality.

fyrefysh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, which one is it? Blueline 14,000K, Hamilton 14,000K or Phoenix 14,000K? Which one is bluest? Are they all for sale at marinedepot.com? Has anyone seen all three working? Is the 14,000K series generally bluer than the 20,000K bulbs?

FragMaster

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BLue line is more white, Pheonix would be more blue than Hamilton ( I think?).
If you want awsome coral growth AND actnic glow but not over bearing, go with hamilton 14k.
I have used them for 4 years now. The brand and kelvin not the SAME bulbs LOL!!

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's one thing I hate about Phoenix, it's that they don't make mogul-based bulbs :x The color is nearly identical (depending on ballast) to the expensive AquaConnect 14K. Run a search, and you'll find glowing reviews on the Phoenix bulbs (from those that like blue of course).

I'm not too familiar with Blueline bulbs, but they do seem to have a quality product line.

Hamilton's seem to be the hit or miss brand. From what I've read, the only bulbs that have a higher failure rate than Hammy's are the ones that come free with Odyssea or Catalina fixtures. The manufacturer and actual kelvin rating is inconsistent from bulb to bulb. They are cheap, though.

FragMaster's got an amazing 4 year streak with them. You should take him to Vegas.

HTH :D

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my 250 hamilton 14k's with phoenix 14k's and there is a huge difference. To my eyes, the phoenix are more blue (though they are still new and may still be burning in), and they are much brighter. I would recommend the phoenix for what you are looking for. To answer your other question, 20,000K bulbs should be bluer than 14,000K. The problem with this is there is a lot of variation between brands and bulbs, and also variation between ballasts. So, some 14k bulbs may actually be bluer than some 20k bulbs. But in theory, 20K are bluer. HTH

fyrefysh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up getting the Phoenix, has a nice blue hue to it. The par value is far lower than the Coralife 10,000K though. Nice bulb, I need (and my corals) need to get used to it. What is the average burn-in time for the bulb?

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I replaced mine I noticed that about 3 days after first using them the intensity went way up and all my corals shriveled away from the light. I just raised the bulbs higher, and slowly acclimated. I have had the bulbs for a month now and still havent lowered them all the way, but I have good coloration and growth already because these are so much brighter than the hamiltons i had before. So to answer your question, it will take a few weeks for the bulbs to burn in to their true color, but it only takes a couple days for them to reach a high intensity, so be prepared for it. HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: