• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I heard he completed a very in-depth comparative salty study recently.

Have any results been published online?
Anyone hear any details at MACNA?

Thanks,
Jh

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also heard it was done but I'm not sure where it's going to be published. I hear it is more casual then it is controlled, although much was done to make the results as meaningful as possible.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be interesting to see which salt is the new demon salt, and watch the fireworks as the methodology gets ripped apart.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I just noticed it was published already in rk.com. I haven't followed that magazine much; had no idea Eric was still writing for it after last year's events.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have used the Red Sea mix before, now that I think about it. Perhaps I missed it, but I can't see if they used the regular Red Sea Salt or their Coral Pro Salt.

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought, Don't you ever think about using Oceanic salt for I switched to Oceanic from coralife salt less then a year ago and the thing is, on my twin eel tanks I only at most test only the Ph and the nitrates whenever in the blue moon I think of it.

The thing there is, the oceanic has high nitrates for I test for nitrates after some 11 months or longer after I made the switch in the salts and all the years these twin tanks been setup the nitrates were at untraceable levels.
On that first test after so long, I had a nitrate reading of 160+ PPM on the nitrates and with even my disability and all, I ran out after discovering this and bought instant ocean and done some serious water changes and after just three weeks the nitrates were back at untraceable levels.

And yes, I was somewhat surprised on how fast this took place in reducing the tanks nitrate levels for I was more or less expecting it to take a number of months.

I do however want to be using the best salt all together for the only real good thing about the oceanic salt is, you can make a 30 gal water change inside of the same day and as in little time as 12 hours because this salt clears up fast.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea salt. I have had not trouble with it. Untracable nitrates and my PH is good as long as I make it the day before water change.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thales":16jxoiz7 said:
It will be interesting to see which salt is the new demon salt, and watch the fireworks as the methodology gets ripped apart.

I'm waiting for someone to point towards his tank disaster as "proof" there's a flaw in his methodology :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda hard to do, since he not only gave a talk on it to a few hundred people, but published it in RK magazine. Best way to get around people not coming to their own conclusions, is not to release any data, publish any papers, and give no talks on it, till all the data reviewed to it's fullest.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Thanks for all the input.

I'll be looking forward to the final results, although I probably won't change my choice of salt based on them.

The results, I will take, with a grain of salt. :?

shr00m

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just thought id say, red sea salt owns IO i know everyone uses IO but... try red sea, you will see, you dirty SOBs. funny thing is go back look at my posts ive advoacated red sea salt for years, you guys just got owned

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a big salt study should be done like this atleast once a year.

I know it has to be a biotch doing all that sampling and recording under scientific conditions, but it would set new standards on our hobby's backbone...what would be do with out it? Add trace elements every month? HAHA! Yeah right!

TGFMSM - Thank God for marine salt mix

Seriously though, things like this will allow us to get closer to NSW parameters and keep our reefs closer to the conditions out in the wild. Who wants to spend money on crap that hurts their tank? Bring out the demon salt. If they can not run quality control, suffer the stigmata of the demon salt.

Until it redeems itself next year, it will be known as :twisted: Demon Salt :twisted: .

Maybe in the future, we will have enviroment specific mixes, like Fiji Acropora Shollows marine mix or Bali Deepwater mix. lol

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having read the details of his study, it looks like he's done a very thorough job of controlling as many variables as possible, down to the HEPA filtered room air and autoclaved substrate.

Of course, everyone's tank is different and his results will be variangly applicable, but they'll be interesting nevertheless.

Shr00m: We're all very pleased that you and your Red Sea salt are so happy together. But, in our defense, I think you're probably the only one who cuts it up on a mirror and does big fat lines of it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JohnHenry":qsq1cal5 said:
The results, I will take, with a grain of salt. :?

happy0065.gif
Great pun JH!

shr00m

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Shr00m: We're all very pleased that you and your Red Sea salt are so happy together. But, in our defense, I think you're probably the only one who cuts it up on a mirror and does big fat lines of it."

hehe, thats great : )

i was just joking of course :P

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: