• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Has anyone experienced aggression from a Halichoeres chrysus (Yellow "coris") that was established in a tank towards newly introduced docile wrasses such as fairies or flashers? They seem like such mellow fish, but sometimes it can be hard to tell.

This would be a 65 gallon tank.

A

Anonymous

I'm thinking that adult corris wrasses aren't reef safe. Lemme do some research.

I know because I really wanted one for my 58 and there's some reason I can't have it.

B

A

Anonymous

This guy is pretty reef safe, as Halichoeres chrysus isn't a "true" coris wrasse. For some reason somebody gave them the unfortunate common name of yellow coris. I think they call them canary wrasses sometimes too.

Do you have a sand bed? They need to burrow themselves to snooze, maybe that was why he wouldn't work for you.

A

Anonymous

The only bad thing about H. chrysus is they may feed on your baby snails and bristleworm population, otherwise they are reef safe and not aggressive towards other wrasses.

Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

davidmohr":3056j0q6 said:
The only bad thing about H. chrysus is they may feed on your baby snails and bristleworm population, otherwise they are reef safe and not aggressive towards other wrasses.

Regards,
David Mohr

Ditto. IME they are absolutely passive towards virtually any other fish.

A

Anonymous

Matt_Wandell":1cubkdk7 said:
davidmohr":1cubkdk7 said:

Regards,
David Mohr

Ditto. IME they are absolutely passive towards virtually any other fish.

OK, I suspected such but I just wanted to be sure. They have had a nice little flasher wrasse at the fish store for some time now that I would like to add, but I know flashers can be fairly nervous when first introduced and I was worried about the yellow wrasse giving him a "talking to".

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: