A

Anonymous

I have a sebae anemone. It's white with a light tint of purple. It has been growing for a while. It seems there is something going on with it and I would like someone's help on determining what's happening. There is about a silver dollar size amount of tennicles that are darker purple. Is this signs that it's going to split?

All comments welcome...

A

Anonymous

Those sebaes often come fairly bleached from the LFS, they really should not be "white" white. Got any photos? It sounds to me like it may be getting it's color back (good thing).

Check out this page with some photos. You will see a bleached one (and a dyed one) as well as several healthy colored specimens.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inver ... crispa.htm

A

Anonymous

This photo?
WhiteSebaeAnemone.jpg

No, they are not supposed to be white like that, that poor little dude has bleached. Which is a shame because the fish stores advertize them that way as if it was a good thing! 8O It's not unusual to run across posts from concerned anemone owners worried about their "white" sebae anemones changing color. There is even a question in that link of yours from an anemone owner concerned his white sebae is getting "dirty' colored.

It sounds like yours is getting its zooxanthellae back so that is a good sign he is on the road to recovery. Does he eat for you? If it was my amenone I would be sure it ate some food once or twice a week right now since it does not have much zooxanthellae to rely on.

A

Anonymous

The worst thing is I got it from my LFS. 8O

They were selling about 8 of them and I bought one b/c it had the clown already hosting in it. Bought the pair. I didn't know it was bleached. Thank GOD it survived.

ping29

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had the same thing happin to me lfs said it was how they where supposed to look when i first bought and after pics

Attachments

• DSC02312.JPG
    DSC02312.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 728

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: