NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ok this is growing on my rock, it doesnt with draw like aptasia, and different in color. curious as to the little purple ranch's or leaves is kinda what they look like

Attachments

• DSC01247.JPG
    DSC01247.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 229

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0

was told to squirt purple up directly into it to kill it. curious if it works or if anyone has tried it. heard joe's juice is a temporary fix and that they will come back

jasno999

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No purple up use kalk or joes juice, purple up won't do anything, it is so diluted it won't do anything!

What do you have against purple up?? YOu said it is diluted so is it useless for my tank?? ( I mean for buildign up coraline and for gettign calcium itno the tank)

As for using purple up on mojano or aptasia forget about it- will not do anyhting. My suggestion for a cheap solution is to get a syringe and put slightly diluted lemon juice in it. Insert it into the base of the critter and inject the lemmon juice. It is harmless to the tank in small portions and should kill the bad stuff.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
What do you have against purple up?? YOu said it is diluted so is it useless for my tank?? ( I mean for buildign up coraline and for gettign calcium itno the tank)

As for using purple up on mojano or aptasia forget about it- will not do anyhting. My suggestion for a cheap solution is to get a syringe and put slightly diluted lemon juice in it. Insert it into the base of the critter and inject the lemmon juice. It is harmless to the tank in small portions and should kill the bad stuff.
Why dilute it?

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0

Don't think Cheif meant anything against purple up, but there haven't been many, if any, miracle stories about Purple up making your tank blossom with coralline. There are one million and one ways to get calcium into your tank and purple up is definately near the bottom of the list.

As for the anemone problem, personally I would Kalk it. It completely covers the anemone and "suffocates" it. Chances are it wont come back after that. Since it's only one anemone at this point I'd over do it with the kalk and cover an extra quarter inch all around the anemone so it doesn't just retract into a hole and pop out of a neighboring one.

-krisEN

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
what is it

ok even though seems no ne thinks the purple up will not do the trick. it seams to have done it, been 5 days and it hasnt popped out again. either its hiding or it did kill it. so purple up really doesnt do much for your tank on another note ? i posted a thing on here all of what i have and use and really havent gotten any advise yet. how often should i use iodine ? how often should i use calcium ? i have both in seachems as well as the purple up. i have phyotplanton and zooplanktin also. any suggestions. seams after i put the iodine in everything blooms up. ty rick

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Purple up is fine, if you are using it as a calcium/iodine suplement. As a coraline builder it will help but it will not do what it claims I am sorry. I used it for 6 months with no ill effect to my tank but also no huge growth in coraline. As far as being an aptasia/mojano killer it is useless. Noob I'm sorry but it it in hiding now and is gonna pop up soon in the same spot or it decided since you irritated it to move to a new spot.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
ok even though seems no ne thinks the purple up will not do the trick. it seams to have done it, been 5 days and it hasnt popped out again. either its hiding or it did kill it. so purple up really doesnt do much for your tank on another note ? i posted a thing on here all of what i have and use and really havent gotten any advise yet. how often should i use iodine ? how often should i use calcium ? i have both in seachems as well as the purple up. i have phyotplanton and zooplanktin also. any suggestions. seams after i put the iodine in everything blooms up. ty rick

Don't dose anything you're not testing for, especially something like iodine. Get test kits for whatever you plan on dosing and go from there to keep them within the acceptable levels.

-krisEN

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
testing

i have a hagen master test kit and i think a oceanic test kit, use both to be sure. but not sure how often i should dose with calcium or iodine. i have noticed a little more color in rock plus i got a few really good seeded piece's. and might as well ask. i got a 29g high with about 40lb of live rock in tank and about 10lbs in ref. to much ?

Last edited:

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
if you keep up with constant water changes, you shouldn't really need to dose. Besides your tank is so small, the frsh saltwater should be enough if you ask me. Don't go dosing crazy- A LOT of it is snakesoil

jasno999

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think in a smaller tank if oyu have a lot of coral you might need to dose for things like calcium cause it coudl get used up fast.

As for iodine you definitly want to get a test kit or dose the very minimum amount for oyur sixed tank. I overdosed one time and the corals instantly started to contract and shrivle up. So I quickley did a water change the next two days and everyhting was fine. But be careful.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: