A

Anonymous

Does anyone know of a web site to identify sea slugs??????? I believe that is what I have. It's large, flat, white with pinkish purple lines, almost transparent, and slithers along the LR when I shine a flash light on the area. I never see it during the day.

A

Anonymous

Do a search for the Sea Slug Forum. I ended up with a freeloader on one of my live rocks that they were able to identify. If you can't find it e-mail me and I will send you a link.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help. It did move very fast when I shined the light on it. It's about the size of a quarter, maybe slightly bigger.
But like most sea slugs, I didn't see anything sticking up, like the horns or whatever they are. It's completely flat.

A

Anonymous

It's difficult to tell from your description, but it might be a nudibranch (sea slug). However, it might also be a chiton. Chitons are flat, slow-moving critters which have a "shell" made up of slightly overlapping plates. This makes them sound like an armored vehicle, but they really are quite flat, and pretty similar to the description you gave. They're common hitchhikers on live rock and are believed to eat algal slimes.

Basically, nudibranchs will be completely soft, and quicker-moving, while chitons have a tougher, leathery or armored feel, and are pretty doggone slow.

I used to have a link for a nudi ID site, but I need to check and see if I still have it at home (I'm at work).

Kevin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: