• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Fishaholic,

You made the following quote: "58% [of reefs] are in immenent danger from human activity. A number that rises to an astounding 80% when reefs only in Asia are considered." I'd like to read the study. I'm especially interested in how "human activity" was determined to be the problem. Please site reference.

Thank you,
-Sci

A

Anonymous

Mary and others,

How is the reading list coming?

Thanks,
-Sci

A

Anonymous

Sci

I did reference the material in my post.

All information is from the world resource institute and has been published in Dive Training Magazine.

I did however forget to put in that it is The January 2002 issue. The Article begins on page 38.

A

Anonymous

FishAholic,

Thank you. Now to see if I can find it...sounds interesting.

-Sci

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The attached article was written by Eric Borneman and the subject is Dendronephtya.
The 4th paragraph "In the aquarium... is required reading on this subject but it also puts in focus the necessity of restricting the fish and corals talked about in this forum.
www.aquarium.net/1296/1296_4.shtml

Bottom line: Until we know how to keep these species, they are best left in the ocean until we can.

Cappuccino Bay Aquarium

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This IS a good example, an example of how the removal of an abundant species of which its removal has NO effect on the enviroment from which it came.{not missed} Would you or The Reef feel better if the last remaining red brains{most hardy} were removed instead of dendronephtya?

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wayne, thanks for posting that article, it should be required reading before anyone is even allowed to set up a tank.
Steve

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The results of Martin A. Moe Jr. survey on "Culture of Mrine Ornatmentals for Love, for Money and for Science" is available.
Please see http://conference.ifas.ufl.edu/mo/moe.pdf

IMO it is required reading.
It gives us an idea of the direction this hobby is heading and the obstacles marine culturists are presently facing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: