• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

FMarini

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of the questions that is still up in the air is...
once you do acclimate this fish to eating a new food type will it no longer recognize its native food as food.
Back on the first page someone bounced this idea around and maybe we should try and revisit this. My feeling is a number of reefers would like to get these larval raised fish (not only for the eco-part of it) but w/ the hope that these fish WON'T eat their precious corals. My guess would be that the larval raised fish will be trained to recognize new prepared foods as food, but foods, smells, and tastes are genetic. So they most likely will go after their innate native foods w/ equal gusto as the new foods. Like Mick says unless you can prove me otherwise I'm not believin'. I'm certainly not believing the gut of these animals morphs into a dogfood digesting machine either.
"This step actually causes the gastro-intestinal tracts of these fish to develop differently from their wild cousins, allowing these now captive specimens to assimilate the artificial food. "

Most likely the fish already have the machinery(enzymes) to breakdown the prepared foods as well.
Ocean rider which raises seahorses has shown us that you can train a seahorse to eat dead foods(do they eat pelleted food yet?), but the seahorse still likes and eats all the live food you can give it as well. Another case in point, comes from the reptile world, old world chameleons eat living crawling insects, they recognize this as food,it genetic. So many breeders ofcaptive born/raised chamelons have attempted to feed these insectivores w/ dead foods in hopes of training them to recognize this as food as well. It doesn't work very well, occasionally you can get them to eat dog food, but as a whole they will only see insects as food.

So back to our larval-raised fish, while the scientist have certainly increased the surviving fraction of fry and made more larval fish available to the world (most of these fish are 0.5-1.25" long-whats the survival of these fish in the home aquarium??) they still will most likely eat whatever foods was "preprogrammed" into their genes, as well as pellets. Well -Until the scientist start doing brain transplant on these larval fish.
I'd love to read others opinions as well.
my opinion
frank

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frank you have a good point and as fish are not my background I cannot even begin to imagine if genetics of primates and fish are close as far as inherent traits.

If you want to assume that the inherent traits can be breed out as this occurs with primates then you can look at what happened with the Tamarins that breed quickly and as a result the generations continued without their primary food, they lost recognition of insects and as a result reintroduction to the wild went very poorly at first. The Tamarins had to be trained back to insects and saps.

Is this a good comparison, probably not because generations of captively raised marmosets have never lost their instinct for sap.

But a theory worth looking at. I wounder if there are results from many generations of captive raised clown fish losing genetic instinct?

[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: Fishaholic ]</p>

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will use fresh water for an example. Although many of the fish are captive born and raised, I can assure you in my experience that a live mosquito larvae or earth worm wont last long in their tank. I too believe that fish are genetically programed to recognize certain foods.
Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve

I do not think anyone is disputing the genetics but rather if they will ignore instincts if alternative food is available. I would forgo a reef setup if I had a school of captive raised moorish idols that ate alternitive foods.

Staying with a reef setup there could be coral ippingangels tht throgh captive breedig would not np at all. Perhaps there wold be no way for a specific feeding fish but marginaly unreef save fish could be something different all together.

MandarinFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I got from Vincent Dufour at aqua-fish.com was a link to ERI Fish.

Does anyone have experience with them? Evidently they get any of aqua-fish.com's captive raised animals.

Fixed the link. -Chucker

[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: Chucker ]</p>

Bill2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Link.
I did not recieve an email back from my prior request and I have now sent one to aquafish asking him if he would like to join our discussion and give a chat.

Bill2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side topic related. Seems like aquafish is in Tahiti from their picture of Cook's bay on Moorea. If this company can produce in large numbers it would be a boon to the industry becuase there are pretty much daily flights from US to Tahiti and it's only a 7 hr flight.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: