• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Raskal311

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thales":266yb7vf said:
What do you all think about manufacturers selling direct?

It’s fine if the pricing structure is fair. There must be a clear difference in MSRP and wholesale price.

Raskal311

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cortez marine":1gvxx7jj said:
In livestock would that would translate as well?
I mean selling a coral beauty for 9 dollars to stores and 24.99 to the public?

Personally yes, as long as there is a clear difference I don't care. The issue I have is slightly different then the subject posted.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cortez marine":av8afqrw said:

Apparently only matters when it comes to Blue Zoo/PAF :roll:

I have a local store that basically can compete with Blue Zoo on most of their items when you factor in shipping. I think it would be a much bigger issue if Blue Zoo was selling those Coral Beauty's at the same price to the general public as PAF did to its wholesale customers.

Raskal311

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snailman":1802y4g1 said:
cortez marine":1802y4g1 said:

Apparently only matters when it comes to Blue Zoo/PAF :roll:

I have a local store that basically can compete with Blue Zoo on most of their items when you factor in shipping. I think it would be a much bigger issue if Blue Zoo was selling those Coral Beauty's at the same price to the general public as PAF did to its wholesale customers.

To an extent they are; just visit them on a Sunday and you’ll know what I mean.

aquaticvet1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAF began selling direct with Reefermadness long before anyone spoke of a recession.

I think all wholesalers should come clean as did PAF( Dave) and simply sell direct via the internet.There is no need for the extra steps in livestock distribution and many of the small box retail stores are on their way out anyway. PAF and Bluezoo merely expedited the process and I am glad to see Steve and others endorse their efforts.

clarionreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The market has gone to the dogs and I am just observing the irony in one side calling the kettle black. In the everything is fair and justified in love and war notions being acted upon...what chance for reason is there?

The argument for chaos and dis-order is an interesting one. I mean its been around but rarely has it had a vocal proponent.
Steve

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come gather round people wherever you roam
And admit that the waters around you have grown
And accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth saving
Then you'd better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone
For the times, they are a changing

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be really cool if this conversation didn't get silly.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping for a not pissing match and a not non related political discussion. :D

aquaticvet1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fully supportive of wholesalers selling direct to the consumer. They should be honest about it though, just as PAF/BlueZoo is now. Might even be better for the livestock to suffer less shipping stress and acclimations, how about that????

Plenty of online information for livestock care, written by true experts. So I do not get punished, I will not mention which online site has excellent livestock care and video information.

PeterIMA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with wholesalers selling direct to hobbyists off the internet is that it puts local wholesalers and retailers out of business. That works for a few (large wholesalers/etailers) at the expense of many. The flaw is that we need local retailers, if we expect the aquarium hobby to grow. With fewer stores there will be fewer hobbyists and a shrinking market. The recession is already making this happen as pet stores go bankrupt. After the recession the arguement is that the survivors will have more market share. But, the market (number of hobbyists) is also shrinking. Many people still like to see what they are buying, especially when it comes to life product (like fish and corals). But, the kids playing nintendo on computers are not becoming aquarium hobbyists. In the end, that is what we all should fear.

There is a limit to lowballing and price reductions that are driving this downward spiral. Having a clear separation between wholesale and retail worked in the past, and eventually may have to be reinstated (in some form) to allow the industry to regain its profitability.

Peter Rubec

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: