ab420

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 38 gallon freshwater tank, that I want to convert into a reef, but I'm trying to figure out what type of lighting will be best.

The tank is roughly:

36"L x 12"W x 20"H

I will be keeping softies, zoas, palys, and the occasional LPS, but nothing that demands too much lighting.

I have been told that 4 x 39 watts of T5's would work well, what do you guys/gals think?

Thank you in advance for any help!

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5HO should work for most any coral you want to keep. However, I am leery of most every 'cheap' prebuilt fixture since they usually have crappy reflectors. The most important part of T5HO design. However, since you don't need very high light, not so great reflectors may work for you.

ab420

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about clams under this sort of setup? Would a Derasa or Squamosa be alright?

I measured everything up, and the light is 4" off the water, then there is about 14" of water to reach the sand bed. So, if I started with a 2" clam, the light would travel through 4" of air, and 12" of water to reach the mantle, so the light levels shouldn't drop too much.

Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The currents and the orbit fixtures use a crappy tar ballast. stay away if you can.

clams won't do too well under t5 unless you put them up high on the rocks.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: