• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I have a red sea max 130d and am looking to do LEDs on it rather than replace the current PC bulbs.

I am considering doing the AI sol blue NANO fixture but unsure if it will be enough light for the entire tank.

I am also considering doing a DIY kit from rapid led.

The pro of the ai nano is it has the ability to ramp up and down throughout the day. Not sure if it is enough coverage though.

The rapidled kit I can make dimmable and retain my hood, keeping it sleek and all in one still.

I'm open to other suggestions, this is just what I've been considering.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
So do you need to keep the hood or not?

If you are not keeping the hood both of these will fit your tank:
1)This LED fxiture comes programmable night and day functions plus moon light
2)This one is flexible in whatever driver you choose to connect it with. Therefore, if you choose the dimmable Meanwell then, it is dimmable and if you choose regular driver, it can do day and night by simple timers.

If you are keeping the hood:
3)DIY with RAW parts like individual LEDs or semi raw parts with the Revulotion Series. They do come in kits, so you will get almost everything to finish them in an hour or two as long as you have solder and soldering iron plus a wire cutter.

Last edited:

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
When you say programable night and day what do you mean?

I wanted to initially keep the hood, but am not opposed to doing a fixture and removing it.

I simply prefer not to spend $400-700 on a fixture compared to say $150-$250 on DIY

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Response in blue
When you say programable night and day what do you mean? The controller that comes with the unit is like a dual timer that will run your blue and white base on time you set thus the day and night functions. However, it's does not gradually dim up and dim down to create sunrise and sunset effect. The moonlight that come with it is also programmable. All LEDs are Cree

I wanted to initially keep the hood, but am not opposed to doing a fixture and removing it.

I simply prefer not to spend $400-700 on a fixture compared to say $150-$250 on DIY. If your hood has ventilation grid and preferrably already have fans, you can DIY for within $150 with a 12 LED kit.

And to go full fledged DIY with premium parts, you can do 18 LEDs kit with dimmable drivers and remote controller for <$250

If you have no jumpers, I like open top tank a lot more than covered ones. I have a bio cube 29 and I hate it to my gut because at the usual height it can be sat on, I see the hood more that the glass where the action is.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
How much is the first led you mentioned? Would that be enough light to keep acans on the sand and some sps up top?

The 18 led kit is that retrofit or a fixture?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
How much is the first led you mentioned? Would that be enough light to keep acans on the sand and some sps up top?

The 18 led kit is that retrofit or a fixture?

The first LED fixture I mentioned can easily handle SPS and you may want to shade the acan a little bit. The light is powered similarly to the AI Sol and also use Cree LEDs with more spread out design and a lot more metal surface area for heat sinking. I will pm/RB later for the details of the first LED.

The 18 led kit is a kit, so that means you have to retro it into your hood. However, you can also get the silver bar fixture shell that is designed for it and will sit on your tank as the pic I show you earlier.

Last edited:

Frank@Wall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
A friend of mine is doing a diy for me for Red Sea Max 130. He lives in Cali. I sent him the hood. It will have 20 led's. 10 whites and 10 blues. He will save the stock moon lights as well. Dont have exact specs yet but will post pics when done.

Sent from my LG G2X using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: