tim000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK ive had a reef before in a much larger tank....(lost it when I broke up w/ my long time GF) any way I wanted to know how I should go about the filtration for this little nano (never done something like this before so SMALL).

please any tips what so ever would be great!

thanks Jeff :D

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a gallon a week is probably more than enough. I would only have one small fish like a firefish in a tank that small or even not have one at all.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bakpak 2 on my 15 high. If you havn't already bought the tank, try to find a 15 high. It's the same footprint as a 10 gal, only 6" taller. I only get skimmate out of my skimmer if i overfeed, or something dies. But I have a place to put my heater, ground probe, and pinpoint element. That way they stay out of the main tank.

having a tank 6"taller might help you with that halide problem as well...

Brett

ChrisIsBored

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add in a bunch of macro algae(something whose looks you can live with) to help with nutrient export and a 25% water change on a weekly basis.

;)

tim000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey shawn, ive been meaing to ask u about your little 10g. i just got mine set up saturday. I will call u tomorrow. 8O

goldenboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things that I learned when I was keeping my 5 gal nano where to use some macro algae for nutrient export as stated earlier. I would also make sure not to put any fish that will feed on your pods as they will completely dissapear in such a small tank. And I would always use a drip system.

netwizz

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7 gal I have been skimming for about a year and a 5gal with out. I'd go with the skimmer if possible. The 7 is much cleaner looking. I do a 1 gal water change in both each week. All the corals look great in the 7. The 5 is only 3mos old with only a xenia.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinion is for under a 15 just skip the skimming altogether. I personally would not go high either unless your iching to use halides. BTW be sure to have a fairly tight fitting lid do aviode constant top-offs.

netwizz

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the 12" refugiums work well? I've debated getting one because they are small. Can you fit enough into one to see a difference?

sjfishguy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even do water changes. I have a skimmer in an Aquaclear mini hanging off the back. I have a DSB, clam, macroalgae, and xenia for nutrient export and uptake and add supplements as directed. I am keeping SPS and a clam so my water must be pretty good.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: