TuffGong

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm entertaining the idea of setting up a 10 or 15 gallon tank, and am thinking of a 2-36w system from Aquarium Hobbyist supply. What color and brand of bulbs are you guys using on similar systems, where do you get them, and are you happy with the result? TIA

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 2-32w csl on my 15 and a single 32 on my 7 gal. There is another circuit for my refugium wehn i get it build, for the 7.

I like them alot

B.

gregmoeck

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of my 10 gallon nano with 96watt powerquad pendant. No skimmer.

acro.JPG

dusters.JPG

fulltank.JPG

pendant.JPG

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting would depend on what you were planning on keeping. Heck I only have a 18 watt 50/50 PC over my 10 gallon. I'm keeping leathers, mushrooms, and some sofies like a torch and green pearl bubble. All are doing very well with the lower light. Obviously more would be needed to keep stonies, or clams. If you get an idea of what you want to keep you can then go from there keeping money more efficient. Of course if you have alot of money than you can go overboard.

sjfishguy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would spring for the higher lighting. When I set up my 10g I didn't know if I should get the 32w or the 2X32w. I got the 2X32 watt and now wish I went even more. I have a clam and SPS with success. However, not every corner of my tank is lit with the same intensity. This limits where I can have SPS. Even if you don't plan on keeping these more demanding species now, believe me, you will the more you get into it. If I had to do it over again, I would get Custom SeaLife's 23'' 2X55w for a 20'' 10gal. So what if 1.5'' hangs over each side.

And for the previous post, the bubble and torch are stony corals. They are large polyp stonys (LPS). Perhaps you were refering to SPS (small polyp stonys. I can not believe they are even surviving under that lighting though.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a guy named Lunchbucket who posts on here from time to time and regularly at reefcentral.com uses MH lighting on his 10-20 gallon nanos, and there is NO limit to what he can keep in there except for spacing requirements. Of course you will need $$, a good fan and some spacing trials to figure out the best retrofit for it (his is a hanging pendant I believe) but you will never have to upgrade.

Thats the best approach in MHO, but I also like the 2x55watt idea and btw the 96watt quad bulbs that plug in as one bulb are BAD (as in good) That powerquad is what I want for my small reef---about 6 inches will be hanging off the sides at that point but who cares---its bright, and low-heat and more affordable than MH. Greg is that what your bulb is, two whites and two actinics all plugged into one socket?

b429

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: