brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the first completely sealed reef system I know of, no gas exchange- strictly requiring a constantly lit, or at least counter lit, refugium. Most important in terms of controlling pico salinity shifts and pH in these type systems.

This ecosystem emphasizes the harmonious balance between producers and consumers at all levels. Each division of the betta hex works to the benefit of the other, providing food and chemical stability. Its not really that hard to make, you just have to tune it like a guitar, a fine strat if you will.

There is a dosing schedule that works well in less-than-one-half-gallon picos. Takes a little experimenting. If stocked correctly and given Ca, carbonate, iodide (miniscule dosings) and Dt's they just "live". Under the right light of course.
It currently runs three weeks sealed in between water changes but is dosed through a pinpoint injection hole carved into the plastic lid with my dremel. Diabetic syringes deliver the goods twice a week.
Several modifications were made to the lid and divider to house the wiring and minijet pump. Circulation is very strong and pulsing xenia is looking quite neat in there. No, the corals dont outgrow it in one week! These corals will grow slowly for three to five more months before I have to trim/frag

Brandon

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AZOO Inc. has made a line of miniature power compacts that are absolutely credited for a vital role in sustaining pico reefs. I hope they develop micro lighting even further, it'll allow me to go further (smaller)

Attachments

• femtotwo,refugium.jpg
    femtotwo,refugium.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 6,280

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon,

I'm going to move this topic out to the General Discussion forum so that you get more replies to your topic. The Member's Tank Specifications forum is really more for members to post their general tank setup so they can refer others to it when asked for their tank specifications. I will keep a copy of the thread to date in this forum however for reference purposes.

Shane

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everywhere you see very bright contrasting colors with a row of yellow across the top. The green makes the foreground really stand out, its all so bright!

Do you feel its necessary to dose iodine/dide> there have been some really interesting debates lately on the pros and cons. do you feel it has an effect on that bright color you get? I like to use iodide x 2 drops week in the bowl just for trial and error. it seems to affect polyp extension and asexual reproduction...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideas for next project:

a) Reef in an 8 oz glass,

b) Hanging "reef picture" (say about 1 1/2" wide)

AbelaJohnB

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brandon,

Interresting.

I have a few questions:

1. Did you drill holes or cut any of the divider that seperates the two sides?
  2. What provides circulation of water for the inverts?
  3. Do you actually seal the lid on, or just set it on there? If sealed, what do you use to do that?
  4. How often are you finding you need to add/change water?

Thanks Brandon.

Reefguide

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is soooo cool ! What is the smallest reef anyone has ever set up? I want on a shot glass reef :lol:

Seriuosly really really nice.

Sealed I assume is to minize evaporation?

Ghost of Cheese Sandwich: I have a friend to has a similar "hanging" tank. It's FW though. Plants a few fish, ect Looks really cool. I'd actually like something like that for my office but in SW.

Great work fellas!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pico is smaller than nano. In the metric system for example. Mili is 10E-3
micro 10E-6
nano 10E-9
pico 10E-12

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, was that a vlamingi tang in there? :?

AbelaJohnB":3dzikw58 said:
  1. Did you drill holes or cut any of the divider that seperates the two sides?
  2. What provides circulation of water for the inverts?
  3. Do you actually seal the lid on, or just set it on there? If sealed, what do you use to do that?
  4. How often are you finding you need to add/change water?

And some more:

It appears that there isn't any supplimental water motion, do you think a small piece of pulsing xenia or the new amazing pulsing leather coral would be beneficial in keeping the water moving? Otherwise you're relying on convection currents and such (which obvioulsy works!).

How do you light up only the refugium at night?

I don't see how, just from a calcium aspect, that this is sustainable over the long haul. Even if everything else worked out well, eventually any ca reserves in the sand/ rock will be converted to coral biomass (even the softies use it). Water changes would defeat the purpose of the system because of the addition of new elements (and dissolved gasses that would change the atmosphere). That said, I think reefs or this size would have some sort of shelf life provided that it is otherwise successfull.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefguide":373z5j35 said:
Ghost of Cheese Sandwich: I have a friend to has a similar "hanging" tank. It's FW though. Plants a few fish, ect Looks really cool. I'd actually like something like that for my office but in SW.

Yes, I think Tenecor sells those. Be interesting to do a reef, though! You'd have to cut the live rock into "slices", then run say a light strip over the top - it would have a neat "ant farm" effect...

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost of Cheese Sandwich":1epqrh7x said:
I had 1 1/2 - 2" in mind...

Cheese, with that setup would you reccomend lifting the fish out and turning them around periodically so they could face another direction? :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
monkeyboy":18jcg1wc said:
Ghost of Cheese Sandwich":18jcg1wc said:
I had 1 1/2 - 2" in mind...

Cheese, with that setup would you reccomend lifting the fish out and turning them around periodically so they could face another direction? :P

Either that, or get some very limber fish! :D

(Probably go with no fish, as in the 26 oz example above)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: