Vixyswillie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was finally able to grab a couple of decent pics of my nano at work this morning after I did my water change. It's only been up about 4 or 5 months and has a long way to go - but it's starting to come around. :)

Patrick

DSCN0349.JPG

DSCN0336.JPG

DSCN0345.JPG

Vixyswillie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! :D Yes - that's a Catalina. I run my nano a bit on the cool side (about 80-81), so I'm hoping he'll do OK. He's quite the character.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you use for lighting?

How big is the tank?

Looks balanced!

Vixyswillie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dr. Reef and Rich - I appreciate your compliments! Sounds like I'd better move the Catalina along to colder pastures. Great little fish, though...

The tank is a 7g AGA minibow. That elegant canopy design 8O is actually a hodgepodge of an old JBJ canopy, adapted to hold my PFO mini-pendant over the surface of the water. Lighting is currently a 70w MH with PFO ballast and 2x13w actinics (getting upgraded this weekend to a 150w MH with electronic ballast). I'll probably add another pair of 13w actinics, as well. I'd love to get a nice little SPS frag or two to grow in there! Tried it with the 70w - mistake. :oops:

Vixyswillie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Entacmaea - my son got it for me when he saw them come in at the pet store he works at. Easily returnable for store credit! 8)

mswt5

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(80-81) Cool side???
Thats seems a little on the high side to me.....I keep mine between 78-80 and mine didnt survive....:(

Vixyswillie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news update - mine didn't, either. But in my case, I'm rather suspicious of the rose anemone, since he disappeared overnight without a trace! :cry:

Joey French

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nano, question for you... how high above the tank is the MH, I suspect that since the pics were posted, you have added the 150 W, and am curious about the distance you have yours above the water's surface, and if you have had any problem thus far...(splashes, heat issues) I have a 150 W HQI for a 20 and was told in other threads that it should not be cooled and it was too close to the water surface (~6-7")...I've had no problems thus far, though, just wanted to know other's experiences. Thanks, and nice tank. By the way, you're pretty lucky, as your anemone looks proportional to your tank, as my BTA is 12-14 inches across when expanded, taking up a lot of real estate in a 20 high.
Joey

Vixyswillie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Joey - appreciate the compliments. :) I've been so busy, I've not had time to make the switch to the 150, but hope to do so before the New Year. My bulb is about 7 inches above the water surface. No problems with heat or splashes at this point (but remember - HQI bulbs give off UV radiation, so you need a piece of UV-protective glass between your tank and the bulb).

I have a 150 W HQI for a 20 and was told in other threads that it should not be cooled...

8O Disagree - unless you want to cook your tank or melt your canopy, of course!

...and it was too close to the water surface (~6-7")...

Disagree again - especially in light of the fact that you have a 20H. Post some pics of your nano - I'd love to see it!

Thanks again for your kind words... and Merry Christmas! :D

Joey French

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, been a while, didn't see your reply :roll: ...can't really post a pic, as I don't have a digi cam, but will try to do so soon. Have you upgraded to the 150 yet? Joey

Joey French

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 snails of every type I could find, 1 brittle star, 2 harlequin serpent stars, 10 hermits, tons of mini brittles, enough pods to choke a horse, two nudibranchs that hitchhiked, sally lightfoot, emerald crab. Remember that this tank has a large bubbletip in it that produces a lot of solid waste, so the cleaners are stocked to accomodate. I'll try to borrow a digital cam soon to post a pic. Joey

Vixyswillie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Joey - still haven't changed out that freakin' bulb! :roll: I have to set aside a day to do that, redo the aquascaping, reposition the corals, etc. Stuff is growing like weeds in there.

And you might just get your wish about that finger coral. It appears to be working on splitting itself into 3 frags! I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your comments. :wink:

Joey French

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet...this tank is an all frag tank, so most of the pieces are rather small, however there are enough pieces to make me think I will be in trouble in about a year! I want to stock with only captive raised and frags with this tank, even the anemone is a clone from someone else. Do keep me posted! Joey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: