brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hybrid Reefbowl with Plenum

Attaining a true anoxic condition in the deep sand bed of a nano reef aquarium is said to be impossible. Typically the beds have considerable exchange rates with the surrounding water column because they lack volume.
If a nano aquarium could be designed to reduce nitrates through the mechanics of a miniature plenum-based sand bed, the maintenance requirements of nano and pico-sized aquaria will decrease even further.
Creating these oxygen variations in the bed will involve careful consideration of circulation and depth of the bed, relative to the water column above it. The circulating water column housing the corals is the carrier of oxygen that permeates the sand beds of typical nano reef aquariums, halting the final stages of natural nitrate reduction. Slowing circulation throughout the critical regions of the Mini-DSB would likely get us one step closer to creating a working model inside a two gallon tank.
Various algae will encrust and grow within an average sandbed, especially if it receives light from a window or reflections from the lights above the tank. To prevent this growth and its subsequent oxygen production, the tank will likely need to be painted black around the sides(only the sand bed portion) to prevent light passage into the miniature DSB. The drawing reveals sand bed divisions and tiny plenum void that will be covered by the paint.

Circulation will be provided in this new design test via the worlds most freakishly-small powerhead I recently found in the most unlikely place. The total water column housing the corals is around 5 inches tall, about the same as my other pico reefs, and a small powerhead will work fine in this space. The sandbed will compose 80% of the volume of the two gallon vase.

The dimensions of this aquarium are warped to provide a function, not for amusement. I really think this design, or one very close to it, holds the key in getting some form of actual nitrate reduction in nano and pico reef aquariums. Initial tests will run without corals, in a system fully stocked with LR and the sand but no inverts for a few months until things are balanced. There is certainly no harm in testing the system with just aged LR and copepods in the system, and that will fully process the food pellets just as the year-old system will. It will reveal the oxygen, carbon, nitrogen and ph trends of this sandbed/water column ratio.

Brandon M

Attachments

• aa2a4plenumtestreefbowl.jpg
    aa2a4plenumtestreefbowl.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,905

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This new vase is taller than the other Reefbowl and has more volume, but the same shape. Although the stocking area looks incredibly small, it's no smaller than the Betta Hex reef I have pictures of in the other threads. The large DSB under it shifts the focal point to the center of the design-its the function I am interested in not the aesthetics.

The lid would be partially sealed so that an airstone can run lightly to renew the air under the lid--just like the Reefbowl that is currently running. In this new system the small pwrhd provides the bulk of the circulation, not the airstone. Less pressure venting means less evaporation...

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, its 2 am on Wednesday morning and Ive nothing better to do than make long posts and detailed cartoons of possible pico reefs. Just an idea to kick around....

Joey French

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run with it, man, this is yet another of your "impossibilities" that I will follow closely. Until your next update, good luck............Joey

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had the money to be creative. Between college and getting laid off (due to management blunders) I can only dream.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: