Demon16v

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was thinking about putting a 70 watt HQI on my nano. Tank is an All-Glass 7g bow. My question is how hot do these bulbs get? I wanted to keep it looking stock and use the stock plastic light hood, with a fan added on one side and cut slots for a vent on the other and with a new metal reflector. All this and I still want to be able to use the stock tank cover also. Will the heat of the bulb melt the plastic? Has anyone done this?? Or any other ideas you might have. Other than how hot the water might get.
Thanks

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't triedit, but really think it will get too hot for the water and for the plastic lid. It is a great idea though, and even if you have to retrofit it in another way or convert it over to a hanging pendant that you can suspend high enough to deal with the heat, you will be able to stock some nice animals for sure. Where are you finding these 70 w MH's, if they are reasonably priced Id like to order one to use on the reefbowl. Thats a one gallon tank---talk about the risk of overheating... but I would suspend it high enough that a fan would do the rest of the cooling work. good idea

Brandon

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: