• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Mike, ill have to take a look at that. I saw the Nac 3 today (non cone). Not bad for the price. I may just go that way until I can find a great deal on something.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
anyone try the psk100 either insump or hang on? i seen good reviews but i'm leaning towards bm 3.5 cone since the price difference isn't that bad.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I picked up the Bubble Magus Nac3 today. I got it for a really good price and couldn't pass it up.

As for the psk100, that's the Eshopps skimmer, right? I've heard the pump/body match isn't great on a lot of those skimmers but I really don't know much about them.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
E let me know how the nac3 does. i'm in the same boat currently and want to go either eshopps psk100 or nac3+. i prefer the bubble magus since more reviews available for it's other lines like the 6/7 and nothing but good reviews so the 3+ should be great.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Honestly if you have a few extra $ I'd probably go with the swc cone. The bm nac3 was a very good deal so I jumped on it.

I've heard the 3+ doesn't have a properly sized pump. I've heard similar regarding the eshopps skimmers as well.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
i'm limited in space so SWC doesn't fit the size im limited too. psk 100 can be in sump or hang on back.

the dimensions for the cone just fit and the cone shape helps a lot. i have 8 x 4.5~at the top which is eurobraced so the inner dimensions is more like 4.75

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this very interesting..... Studies of skimmers have shown that they remove various trace elements, along with pods and plankton. When people run protein skimmers, they dose trace elements to replenish them after their corals and skimmers use them. Because the skimmer removes most of the elements, such as iodine, it is dosed back in causing almost an endless cycle. The main problem this holds in nano reefing is that many of the trace elements cannot be easily tested for, so no one ever knows where their level is. This can lead to overdosing which will crash a nano reef in a matter of hours. The skimmer also begins to starve your corals by removing their food source. It's simply too risky.

Protein skimmers are beneficial however, because they remove excess nutrients from the water, but this advantage is out weighed by the disadvantages. To remove the excess nutrients from this system you do a partial water change. The water change also doubles to replenish your trace elements, which are in your synthetic sea salt. Nitrates are removed, dissolved organic compounds are removed, and your trace elements are replaced. Your nitrates will always be at or near zero, and the elements will stay at a consistant level.

PaulEZ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I found this very interesting..... Studies of skimmers have shown that they remove various trace elements, along with pods and plankton. When people run protein skimmers, they dose trace elements to replenish them after their corals and skimmers use them. Because the skimmer removes most of the elements, such as iodine, it is dosed back in causing almost an endless cycle. The main problem this holds in nano reefing is that many of the trace elements cannot be easily tested for, so no one ever knows where their level is. This can lead to overdosing which will crash a nano reef in a matter of hours. The skimmer also begins to starve your corals by removing their food source. It's simply too risky.

Protein skimmers are beneficial however, because they remove excess nutrients from the water, but this advantage is out weighed by the disadvantages. To remove the excess nutrients from this system you do a partial water change. The water change also doubles to replenish your trace elements, which are in your synthetic sea salt. Nitrates are removed, dissolved organic compounds are removed, and your trace elements are replaced. Your nitrates will always be at or near zero, and the elements will stay at a consistant level.

Point taken, but my SPS says otherwise...

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0

Interesting first post. Hands down, my tanks have done better with a skimmer running, and (I think) most people will agree with me here.

Nothing wrong with doing water changes, especially on a nano. I'm going to be doing a 5 gallon weekly water change on my new tank (15 gallon display, 15 gallon sump, with about 10 gallons of water in the sump section).

NJMcGruff

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 87.5%
28   4   0
Eshopps S-150 (cone skimmer) on my 40b : This skimmer is a beast a little over kill for my tank size but I love it. Pulls out dark stinky stuff, nice thick foam makes you wanta throw up if you get a smell of it. Foams up fast, didnt take much to find the sweet spot for skimming.

Prizem skimmer on my 20long: Kinda a POS got it for 20bucks so cant beat that. Does a ok job takes time to get it set rite. Loves to thorw out micro bubbles. But over all its better then the other nano skimmers I've tryed for the price. With some mods to it, its not so bad.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: