• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

P

Pedro

Picked up a pair of orange spotted gobies, at least i think they are a pair, they always stay together. They have started to make burrows in different places, so cool. I will eventually get them a shrimp once they settle in. Here's a few pics of them. The pic of them cleaning out the burrow took a few tries to nail it, but patience paid off. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Deanos, thanks for the link.

It's hard to tell exactly what kind it is, but all indication points to the orange spotted diamond goby. From this marinedepot site, it looks similar and they say it's known to share it's burrow with the pistol shrimp. See this:

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/orange-diamond-goby---valenciennea-puellaris-fish--gobies.html

The top fins resemble those of most of the symbiotic shrimps. I can always give it a shot, but either way they are cool to watch sift sand and just hang out together. I'll do some more research on it.

ulmo

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I had a friend with a pair as well and I remembered that they don't pair up with pistol shrimps. I think the symbiosis works because the shrimp does all the digging and the goby has a free home but in return keeps a look out predators. Beautiful pictures!

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Thanks Guys.

I did more research on them. You guys are right, they will most likely NOT pair with the shrimp since they dig their own burrows. I kinda wished for that, but it's no big deal. They are just as nice and they stir up the sand nicely.

The trick is getting them to eat prepared foods like mysis. In the past my yellow watchman did great even though i didn't see him for months at a time. What i am doing now is injecting some cyclopeeze into the sand near their burrow. As they sift, they in turn eat the food. I want them to start eating mysis direct, so i will continue to feed them. From what i read, the feeding is the only factor that contributes to their demise, so i will stay on top of that.

Jose, thanks, i am aware of their jumping habits. It's a good thing i already own wrasses, because i have jumped proofed my canopy already.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: