IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice shots and

:welcome:

Why not start a tank spec thread in the members tank section and give some details on the construction and gear, esp what you did to the back.

wiszmaster

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido":1fhymqv2 said:
Nice. 8) I really like the back.

me too ... do you mind sharing what you used, and how you did it?

I know many use the pond foam .. but that's black ... did you just coat it with sand?

RustyReefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back is made out of man made live rock, sorry it will be live rock eventually. It is a mix of crushed oyster shells, reef sand, crushed coral, snail shells, concrete. The tank it self is a 114 gallon custom made cube 40Lx30Wx22D. It also has a 40 gallon sumpand a 40 galllon frag tank on the same system. 20K XM 250 watt halides x2, Mag 12 return pump, closed loop 1800 gph. :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome! So the rock in the back is concreted to the glass?

wiszmaster

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RustyReefer":2jxd7kab said:
holldoll":2jxd7kab said:
Did you make the back or did you buy it? If you bought it, from where?
I made the rock in the back.

Rusty,

could you elaborate on the makings of the back alittle, or a lot :)

is it solid concrete w/ all the ingredient?
I've been thinking about something liek it for my 265g ... but i was thinking about using the black pond foam, and then sprinkling it with sand, shells & small pieces of rock.

thanks,

marco

wiszmaster

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rusty,

2 more .. how did you get the shape of the tank/overflows into the concrete .. and do you have any more pictures?

thanks,

marco

RustyReefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is crushed oyster shells,sand,crushed coral,hermit shells, and white type 10 concrete. I started buy making a mold of the back of the tank buy building a copy of it out of wood. Than I covered it with poly so that the concrete would not stick to it. After mixing the concrete I covered the mold and let it harden for 4 days before moving it into cureing tubs where it sat for four weeks, water changes three time a day, untill it stoped changing the alkalinity of the water.

wiszmaster

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RustyReefer":20nfmzth said:
The rock is crushed oyster shells,sand,crushed coral,hermit shells, and white type 10 concrete. I started buy making a mold of the back of the tank buy building a copy of it out of wood. Than I covered it with poly so that the concrete would not stick to it. After mixing the concrete I covered the mold and let it harden for 4 days before moving it into cureing tubs where it sat for four weeks, water changes three time a day, untill it stoped changing the alkalinity of the water.

well it looks awesome. You did a great job!

do you remember the recipe for the mix? how many parts concrete to oyster shells, to sand etc..etc.

thanks again,

marco

RustyReefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoaid.com id's it as a blue alien eye zoo. What the real name or species is ... I dunno. All I know is that it has taken almost two years to grow that rock out from a frag of four poylps. :D

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too like the back of the tank. Sounds like the process to build custom cars. My friend builds cars for a living and he is always making molds. Good idea.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: