• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please, name me one lfs that doesn't offer it's fish for sale before an allotted qt. Just one, past or present.
You know this paying vendor, one of whom makes this place free for the rest of us, is offering a service. You don't have to purchase it, but shouldn't turn their thread into a slugfest while standing on your soapbox about how they should guarantee and quarantine against all the possible problems fish carry with them from the sea. Hey wait, maybe they should just medicate the entire ocean to prove their caring for fish.
Don't be silly, do be realistic.

They are a few online places that Qt they fish before they ship. If you need to know the name l'll PM you. If you know how to read my post I stated he has good intention with a price tag. Never turn trend in slugfest. Maybe that's why you might need some medication.

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yea online places.,and they claim they do .,..and the cost is probably more ..

Been in the hobby for many years you pretty much try a lot of places. This place called me and explained everything about the fishes. Shipping was free and service was awesome. Health of fish was excellent. I didn't have to pay for extra services. They just wanted my business for next time. Only bad part you can't pick your fish. There are plenty of places trying to do the right thing to keep or get new customers.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
They are a few online places that Qt they fish before they ship. If you need to know the name l'll PM you. If you know how to read my post I stated he has good intention with a price tag. Never turn trend in slugfest. Maybe that's why you might need some medication.
Have been in the hobby for decades, never heard of a source that did that, nor would i trust it from an online source. Not to mention we were talking lfs. Way to go changing it up there. You can find anything you want online, including, if you want to buy a bridge
http://www.hayneedle.com/product/ha...type=pla&kw=&gclid=CMn5q5-90MwCFUQehgod6RsKDQ

Also don't turn to drugs, but thanx for your insight.

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
There's no such thing as free shipping. It's figured into purchase price. If you wanna save a few bucks buy buying from some warehouse in the middle of nowhere with cheap operating costs, then don't wonder where all the lfs went.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Good to have more stores offering the service. If your truly concerned about pests, then you'll always do it yourself. If you want to have less pressure and still have some measure of protection, this is great. As this is America, buy the fish where you want with the offers that they you want to take. No reason to knock a business for offering a product. If people dont want to spend the money, the market will dictate it.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
I have to say your heart is in the right place, but unless you have 200-300 separate tanks & systems to treat each fish separate I don't see it being more effective just medicating tanks / treating them hypo and medication and uv's .

Senerio-
I buy a fish and I say please Qt this fish for me . You say ok and put the fish in "QT"
two days later -John & Luke walk in also want their fish also wants to Qt .
Four days later -tony walks in also want a fish in Qt.
And so on and so on .....

Given you have x-amount of gallons it's still limited to one or two systems tops ( anything bigger than this would just throw off the cost of running several hundred gallon QT systems due to the cost of skimmers-medication- uv's pumps ect.)

So every few days you would be adding a new fish or several new fish to one or two QT systems .Now this would just be adding new bacteria and new possibility for a different disease to enter the QT system (cross contamination and re start of the QT cycle, so basically you can never take home your fish with a peace of mind even if the fish has been in QT for two weeks) don't get me wrong I've been in the hobby for more than 10 years and I'm well aware that there's NO GARANTEES WITH THESE FISH NO MATTER WHAT for different reasons like stated before in previous post.

That's the reason I believe this would not work.

You guys sound like your heart is in the righ place. Like mention before it would be great to be known for having the best healthiest live stock around , that's an AWSOME reputation to have . You guy should just say our fish are treated here and we try our best to provide healthy fish because I don't see any LFS QT-Ing fish and GARANTEES 100% survival or your money back . Put your self in a reefers shoes : After I pay premium+ for a fish I don't want it to come down with anything or just DIE . Then I would feel I got screwed .

My .2

ScubaDre

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I think this is a great idea but only if the fish are guaranteed while in quarantine at the store. There are plenty of rare fish that sell out on the first day at the lfs. Regardless of whether the fish looks healthy or not keeping the fish in quarantine at the fish store with a guarantee on it is a good idea for peace of mind alone that your local store didn't rip you off by selling you a sick fish. Win-win situation if at the right price.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
So THIS is where the QT sale originated,, Good for you POP I've never been to your store, but I have bought a coral or 2 from you at a swap last summer I think it was in rhode island. This is a nice touch. it will be complicated as hell but a for effort. maybe if they will pay for QT then they get a week warranty? just an added thought.

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
I have to say your heart is in the right place, but unless you have 200-300 separate tanks & systems to treat each fish separate I don't see it being more effective just medicating tanks / treating them hypo and medication and uv's .

Senerio-
I buy a fish and I say please Qt this fish for me . You say ok and put the fish in "QT"
two days later -John & Luke walk in also want their fish also wants to Qt .
Four days later -tony walks in also want a fish in Qt.
And so on and so on .....

Given you have x-amount of gallons it's still limited to one or two systems tops ( anything bigger than this would just throw off the cost of running several hundred gallon QT systems due to the cost of skimmers-medication- uv's pumps ect.)

So every few days you would be adding a new fish or several new fish to one or two QT systems .Now this would just be adding new bacteria and new possibility for a different disease to enter the QT system (cross contamination and re start of the QT cycle, so basically you can never take home your fish with a peace of mind even if the fish has been in QT for two weeks) don't get me wrong I've been in the hobby for more than 10 years and I'm well aware that there's NO GARANTEES WITH THESE FISH NO MATTER WHAT for different reasons like stated before in previous post.

That's the reason I believe this would not work.

well put fernandez exactly my thoughts! i cant imaging how much the water bill is going to be assuming you going to empty n refill each tank after treating each fish.

ScubaDre

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
IMO the service only works if there is a money back guarantee on your fish while it is quarantine. Since the store is soley responsible for the medication and health of the fish this should be a given. On any given lfs visit I might spend in upwards of $100 to $300. Making sure I'm getting a healthy investment is worth it to me

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
IMO the service only works if there is a money back guarantee on your fish while it is quarantine. Since the store is soley responsible for the medication and health of the fish this should be a given. On any given lfs visit I might spend in upwards of $100 to $300. Making sure I'm getting a healthy investment is worth it to me

Yeah...but your forgetting these store get DOA's
-Fish that die within a few hrs of getting to the store
-Fish that die a day later.
( for many reasons..shipping ,sick, acclimation practices , endless possibilities)
My point is they take all the risk For them to take those hits and 100% live guarantee is impossible if they did they will find them selfs in the RED rather quickly.

Not to mention (salt + food + medication + electricity ) for the QT system.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: