• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

vder1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to upgrade my current sump and plumbing . Using a rubbermaid container and has worked ok but would like to move on to a better setup. Also have a Little Giant 4 - MDQX - SC as the return pump . Using 1 inch pvc for the return line to the tank.

Tank size is a 135 . Looking at this sump to purchase http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products_aq_rrsumps.html . Any opinons are welcomed.

Pamela

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a very nice looking sump. but probably a bit pricey. Why not buy an appropriatly sized glass tank, baffle it yourself, then take it to your lfs an have it drilled?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Pamela. I've seen one Oceanic sump in action and they work great, but they're just baffled glass tanks. If you're not DIY inclined, I would recommend these sumps. But if don't mind puttin in the baffles yourself, you can probably save money making your own (not sure how much these Oceanic sumps cost). The biggest asset of these manufacturered glass sumps is that they have bulkhead holes predrilled. If you need holes, perhaps it's easier (and maybe cheaper) to just buy these sumps.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, just read you have a LG pump. I say get the Oceanic sump then since drilling glass is a PITA ;) I prefer acrylic sumps myself because I can drill them as I see fit with an affordable $5 bit.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the Oceanic sumps are really nice, but as mentioned above, you can save some money if you have your LFS drill a small tank for you - works just as well.

You can get a few pieces of glass from a local glass place cut to size to use for baffles very inexpensively. You could also get piece of cheap acrylic and cut it into baffles yourself with regular woodworking tools.

If you go the DIY route you can use something like GE Window & Door silicone (Type 1) to secure the baffles - it's aquarium safe.

HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: