yonee

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Everyone!

Im looking for some advice/help in finding a filtration system for my 30g tank. Ive had it for a year now a would like to upgrade. In my profile you can see what Im currently using on my tank. Please somebody reply.:fish:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Don't use mud filters. Provide more info. Moving your ?'s to different topic forums won't help.
Give us info on your system. What do you have as far as live stock, current filtration, and what are your water parameters if you test? RO/DI? Skimmer?
A picture is worth a thousand words.

yonee

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I will look into reading some more materials. I have read some books like Marine reef aquarium handbook which is very informative, but looking for info on filtration systems to upgrade from a canister.

yonee

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was unsure how to post ques. Currently Im using a RenaII canister filter with a hang-on prism skimmer, 2 mini power heads, 1 heater and a power compact hopar light 2 daylight and 2 blue bulbs.

temp- ranges fr 76-82f
ph- 8.2-8.4
salinity-1.021-1.023
no ammoni, nitrites, or nitrate
traces of phosphate

2 percula clown
1 tomatoe clown
firefish
watchman goby
1 chromis
2 cleaner shrimp
2 hermit crab blue and red
5 turbosnails

Last edited:

yonee

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
aquarium status

I was unsure how to post ques. Currently Im using a RenaII canister filter with a hang-on prism skimmer, 2 mini power heads, 1 heater and a power compact hopar light 2 daylight and 2 blue bulbs.

temp- ranges fr 76-82f
ph- 8.2-8.4
salinity-1.021-1.023
no ammoni, nitrites, or nitrate
traces of phosphate

2 percula clown
1 tomatoe clown
firefish
watchman goby
1 chromis
2 cleaner shrimp
2 hermit crab blue and red
5 turbosnails

live rock

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I checked out your profile. For what you are currently keeping, your system is fine. Don't add a mud system or fuge. You don't need it. You'll spend far less money and have a much greater impact using a Phosban reactor. Many of our vendors can get them for you at a very good price. Start off using small amounts and increase slowly.
If you insist on the refugium, you can use sand rather than mud which will be much cheaper. Rather than the refugium, I would look to improve the skimmer if I were you. You can find used Aqua-C skimmers at good prices in the FS/FT forum.
Use your canister filter for carbon and maybe some Purigen.
If you don't mind my asking, why do you feel the need to upgrade filtration?

Last edited:

yonee

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Jackson

I still trying to learn how to use the site to view posting.

Currently using
30 g tank, Rena II canister filter, hang-on prism skimmer, 1 heater, 2 mini power heads, hopar 4 bulb lighting system.

2 percula clowns
1 tomatoe clown
firefish
watchman goby
1 chromis
2 cleaner shrim5 urbosnails
2 hermit crabs

yonee

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im looking to upgrade because Ive had leakage problem with the skimmer. the 1st one I used was the sea clone now the prism. Ive changed skimmer twice and it has costed a prettypenny. I dont have a problem with the canister filter except for the plumbing, tubing often detached from the tank due to suction cups. I often have to reattach it contaminating the water.

I have read up on the new ecosystem mud filter and it sound reliable however there are so many fitration systems on the market its hard to pick one plus I plan to get a bigger tank by the end of the year.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Upload the pic to photobucket.com and paste the IMG here or you can resize your pic to upload to the gallary on Manhattan Reefs.

FYI
Your Biological filtration is your sand and rock. Any biological media in a canister filter will only trap wastes and actully degrade water quality. The canister filter should be used for chemical filtartion only i.e. carbon, phosphate remover.
To upgrade your canister filter to a "better" canister filter is a waste since they will have the same function. Adding a sump would be your best upgrade. This will allow you to add a larger (in sump) protein skimmer which will be the MOST effective means of waste removal. You can also run chamical media in cheaper and more effective fluidized reactors (phosban reactor)

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
scroll down after openning a thread or reply.

Attachments

• attach.gif
    attach.gif
    32.5 KB · Views: 183
  • a2.gif
    a2.gif
    42 KB · Views: 179

peterm

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hey Chris
Is there anything wrong with Mud or do you just not think its justified for that setup ? I've had mud in my refugium since day 1 but nothing else. I've just recently (after 1 year) added lighting and macro algae to the refugium.

Thanks
-Peter

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: