• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

J

Jennyshots

I met a guy in the fish store in Flatbush Avenue who told me about this site. HI! I'm new to NYC and I'd like to get an aquarium for my apartment. I loved Finding Nemo and I'd like something like that. I was told to come here and not listen to people at fish stores!

Thanks

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Welcome. The first thing you should do is check out www.wetwebmedia.com and put in a good work week worth of reading. It will save you a fortune and also make the hobby much more enjoyable as you'll have an understanding of what it's all about.

First figure out what you want to keep and then get a tank & equipment appropriate for those animals that you want to keep.

Chase

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. The first thing you should do is check out www.wetwebmedia.com and put in a good work week worth of reading. It will save you a fortune and also make the hobby much more enjoyable as you'll have an understanding of what it's all about.
quote] This is good advice. read, read, and read some more. I would suggest to you "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner and "The Reef Aquarium...Science, Art, and Technology" by Sprung and Dilbeek. Both are good books and will provide enough information to get started.

Chase

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First figure out what you want to keep and then get a tank & equipment appropriate for those animals that you want to keep.
This is good advice. I recommend you read, read, and read some more. I would also suggest to you "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner and "The Reef Aquarium...Science, Art, and Technology" by Sprung and Dilbeek.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi Jenny,

Always nice to see other girls on the site!

Just an FYI, that bit in the dentist's office of Finding Nemo was about NOT keeping aquariums :)

As everyone has said. Spend a couple of months reading about the hobby before you make any purchases. It will save you lots of money and heartbreak. The Conscientious Marine Aquarists is a good beginner book and is the current book club topic. If you read it and have any questions, just go to the drop down menu and select book club. Each chapter has its own thread.

Good Luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: