• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jresha

Becky and Joe's Tank
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need some help. I have a 24g Nano reef system that has been set up for about a month and a half now. I have damsels (3), snails, electric blue hermit crabs and shrimp in the tank now. They are all doing excellent, but I am concerned about the daily temp readings. In the morning, after the lights have been off all night, I am getting a reading of approx. 79 degrees, whic is great, however, when I get home at night, after the lights have been on all day, the temp sometimes gets up to 84 degrees. I am very afraid that the flux. in temp will kill the fish. Is there a way to stablize the temp without a chiller. The a/c is on in my apt. all day, so I know it is the lights that are heating the water. I wish I could throw some ice cubes in the water!!!! Like I said, the fish are doing GREAT, and maybe i shouldn't screw around with something that is working, I just don't want to boil them. Since they are doing so well, should I just leave well enough alone? All of your advice is appreciated.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Cut down on the lighting and get a chiller, are options you may have. Have you tried a small fan blowing across the top of the tank? Do you have a controller? Are you using the stock pump for the pod? I would swap it out for a MJ1200 instead that will cut down on your heat a little too.

jresha

Becky and Joe's Tank
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find a thread on this...hence the post, but as for the USEFUL advice, I appreciate the help Chief! That is exactly what I was asking/looking for. I will try the fan and see if that helps. Also, I am using the stock pump, so I will change that out too and see if that cuts it down a few degrees. Is the temp jump that I am experiencing horrible for the fish and corals, or is this something that they can tolerate (they have been for a while now, I just do not want to stress them too much)?
Thanks again for your help...it is appreciated!!

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
jr if you switch out the pump to the M remember the venturi adapter goes in the end of the return hose then on the pump it acts as an adapter,. PS you may have to trim off the little bumps that the directional flow adapter goes on to make it fit.

jresha

Becky and Joe's Tank
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the complete advice Cheif....I would have never gotten this kind of advice at a pet/fish store. I cannot wait to test it out. I will let you know how it works. I have all weekend (with all of the rain) to set it up. Have a good one and thanks again.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I agree with the fan, which will work, you will want to add an auto top off.
otherwise you'll be trading a swing in temps for a swing in SG, it never ends lol.
this is why nano's are so tough to keep stable, they need just as much equipment as larger tanks.

Milkbone

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Easy Solutions

I had the same problem with a much larger tank w/ very intense lighting (500W MH, 136W DA + moonlights). I was about to buy a chiller & tried a fan from CVS instead/ needless to say I haven?t had a temperature problem since/ My lights are on timers & I have the fan blowing directly between water & hood of light. Another thing to think about, depending on which region you have your coral from, most of the coral reefs natural temperatures are between 80-84 degrees. I keep my tank @ about 81 degrees.

jresha

Becky and Joe's Tank
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true...I guess trading one problem for another is something I have to consider. I suppose I will be choosing the lesser of two evils. I really appreciate all of the positive feedback. I was not sure the type of response I would get here, but I am more than happy with the help you have all provided. You are making this hobby more and more enjoyable for me.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
re: the temperature, I keep my tank at 82 during the summer, the 84 your nano experienced is getting close to being in danger. not just for the temp, but for the O2 being depleted from the water quickly. larger tanks with sumps and skimmers making lots of O2 will fare better at these higher temps, a poor nano with no means for replenishing it's O2 quickly will suffer as the temps rise, just another thing to think about.
thinking about it, the chiller + fans will be your best option if your not going to be around for a few weeks.

Pooshay77

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your going to upgrade the pump to the MJ1200, check out this on ebay. I bought one off the same guy, quick shipper.

You get the Maxijet and the Y-adapter locline to get more circulation in the Nano.

If your looking for any other Nanocube upgrades/mods check out www.nanotuners.com I know I post that site alot on MR, but they're the best i've seen out there for aftermarket upgrades. I added the moonlight fix so it could be on a seperate timer and also the Sapphire protein skimmer

Good luck

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...lems-read-please.html?highlight=heat+problems

there are a few ways and 6 pages you can read up on heat problems ,
best way in the heat of the summer is turn up the AC and fans with a controller (always have a chiller for back up on the system and the ac keep you and the tank cool ) I also find it cheaper then having the chiller kick in(every hr) and produce more heat in the house apt (of course that only if the chiller is in doors ) and as jhale and others stated you have to watch your evap level .

Good luck

Ronen

Last edited:

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The fan blowing acroos the top works miracles! I had 2 fans hooked up to a controller on my first setup. Definatly watch for evaporation and an increase in humidy in the room.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: