• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

o0jmadr0x0o

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
i currently have a 150 watt 14k viper clamp on light, but i am not rely happy with the way it looks and the sides of the tank are pretty dim. i also have a 2x96 PC light on there with 1 actinic and a 10k. i was thinking about returning the viper and getting a nova-extreme t5 light. 36" 4x39 lights and keeping my PC lights as well. would this be a good move, will the light be as strong? stronger? if the switch is suggested what combo of bulbs should i go with to get good growth? i was thinking all 10k in the t5 and 2 actinic in the PC fixture.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
t5

i have 3 tek t5 retro's totaling 6 bulbs. currently i have 2 giessman 11k's 2 super antic's a 10k and a 430 antic. i have more of a bluish tint from lighting. but thinking of running 2 uv 14k's 2 gies 11k's and the 2 super antic's. i have a ton of light on a 36x24x17 tank sps and softies

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
I have t5's and i love them. But most likely you are going to get mixed opinions comparing the two. I am currently running 65w actinic and a 65 10,000k. It evens out the lighting. its just perfect. I would also recommend evening out the actinic and 10,000k.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I wanted to get a viper clamp or some type of MH for my tank (15 gallons 24") I currently have 65watt actinic and a 65watt 10,000k but I don't see the colors of my corals coming out. I mainly have zoas, shrooms and a few lps. But then with MH you have heat and evap issues which is a problem.

home wrecker

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
if u go with a t5 setup ....make sure u get some with individual reflectors for each bulb ......u get the most out of the bulbs that way .... i got a tek t5 6 bulb fixture with 4 11ks an 2 actinic plus on my 75g an i'm very happy with that

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
Personal opinion, it really depends on what you want to keep. if i was going lps sps, i would never have anything other the mh. two totally different views with separate lighting. MH Rock. obviously i would have t5 supplements

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Both can grow all types of corals, that has been proven in many threads
IMO, I think if you know you wont have a heat problem, go ahead with MH due to the simpleness of changing 1 or 2 bulbs plus shimmer effects.
If you might have a problem with heat in the summer, I'd go with T5's
Better to change more bulbs, but at least have livestock to come back to on a hot summer day

techreef

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, i'm keeping LPS and SPS and a crocea (1 week!) under 6 48" T5 bulbs. I've actually scorched two colonies of hitchhiking SPS located in the top 1/3 of the tank. the individual reflectors are the key. I've got IceCap and Tek reflectors; the IC ones are nicer. also, T5 bulbs last longer before they color shift than MH bulbs, esp if you blow air down the length of the bulbs w/ a fan when they're powered on.

I've also read that re: clams, the longer the T5 bulb, the better it is for light-loving clams like croceas. The poster was stating that a crocea could be fine under a 36" T5, but maybe not under a 24" bulb.

but dammit, i do like the shimmer effect of MHs!

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
I wanted to get a viper clamp or some type of MH for my tank (15 gallons 24") I currently have 65watt actinic and a 65watt 10,000k but I don't see the colors of my corals coming out. I mainly have zoas, shrooms and a few lps. But then with MH you have heat and evap issues which is a problem.

What kind of bulbs are you using since your not seeing your colors i have the same wattage bulbs and i see plenty of color and also how old are your bulbs?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: