kydsexy

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had good diatom growth in my tank since it finished cycling. I added 2 turbo snails who seem to not have done anything to reduce the population. So what is the next step? I also have 5 blue legged hermits who I know don't eat diatoms but count somewhat towards the bio load. What else eats diatoms? Am I able to add starfish if my firefish gobies eat all the food that I get them? The only real detritus comes from a beautiful rock I have covered in caulerpa (i know the risks) and another tall red plant thats blooming. I'll post pics very soon. Also, all the xenia and other corals that came on the liverock are doing very fine. I do have one seastar somewhere in the tank who came with the rock, he's just chilling tho, doesnt do too much. And last but not least, the currents in my tank have rearranged the sand so that there are high and lows points, ranging from .5 to 5 inches but its beautiful and none of the rock is covered. Should I level the sand back out so that its a constant 2 inches all the way around? Thank you everyone who responds to this post!!!

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt worry about the difference in sand depths. It makes the tank look more natural and your powerheads will likely blow it back around anyway. Most of the time diatoms are part of the tank settling in and will go away on their own. Just because your initial cycle is finished doesnt mean that things are over yet. Most tanks take about six months to a year before algea outbreaks and such really stop causing people greif. Are you using RO/DI water. If not you may have silicates in the water causing the diatoms. Also If you used cheap sand that could be another source of them. I would wait and see what happens. most of the time they go away.

bubblepuffer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still remember I got diatom bloom showing up a while after tank cycle done. I think reduce the time ligh on a bit will help slowing it down. It grow so fast during light on. I got snails and stuff and nothing help. I remember someone told me less water change, to let the tank settle down because of each water change will prolong the time for the tank settle down. After about 2-3 weeks, diatom sudden die off in 3 days and I done 20% water change every 2 days during that time because of dead diatom.

herpencounter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problem here...

Mexican turbo snails love hair algae.
Astraea snails eat diatoms like there is no tomorrow (glass and wall).
Red hermit crabs eat them off the sand once 90% of the stuff is off the sand they move to the rocks.

Hope this helps!

MajorJoey

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am seeing this as well Diatoms that is
I am 2-3 weeks into cycle.
SHould i just turn out the lights?
Or would this just make them come out when I turn the lights back on regularly when I am done cycling tank?
I really only have the lights on for me to enjoy as I haven't had anything live but the sand and liverock and to test the light cycling on the lighthouse controller.
since it is tank is cycling I suspect I could just turn the lights oFF
I understand about removing the silicates to defeat this ultimately.
JusT nervous I think cause me 1st tank and aLL
thoughts on the Po4 testing... no one ever metnioned that there are 2 types / organtic and inorgantic most test kits do not test for both

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: