• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Reggie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have decided to convert my fowler to a reef. Correct me if I am wrong on the following minimum criteria:

lighting - 5-7 WPG range
flow - 10 to 15 times the tank volume (2 or more pumps)
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0.0-30 ppm
pH: between 8.1 and 8.4 (aim for 8.2)
Alkaline: between 8 and 12 dKH
Specific Gravity: between 1.023-1.025
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 425-450 ppm
Magnesium: 1,300 ppm
Iodine: 0.06 ppm
Strontium: 5-15 ppm
Live Rock: 1-1.5 lbs per gallon

Assuming all of these criteria are followed, achieved and maintained what is this forum's suggested selections for keeping anemones, mushrooms and zoanthids (leathers not a fan). I know there are those of you with varied opinions as well as experiences.

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on testing Magnesium, Iodine, and Strontium? I never have.

Depending on the corals, you would want more flow, 20-30 times.

And finally, lighting varies quite a bit. I have thriving montipora, frogspawn, and torch underneath lighting at 3.6 watts per gallon (3x 150w DE Metal Halides on a 125). You need to figure out what sort of light you need baised soley on what you plan to keep and the shape of your tank, rather than something as arbitrary as watts per gallon.

Mushrooms and zoanthids do not need much light; but photosynthetic anemones will need a lot of light.

Reggie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cindre2000":27hifhv6 said:
Do you plan on testing Magnesium, Iodine, and Strontium? I never have.

I was not sure and was hoping someone would comment about testing there. The tank is 60" long rectangular shape. The anemone was only because I have plans for a couple of clown fish. Nothing is cast in stone at the moment.

Brian5000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just getting an anenome for the sake of a couple clowns, I should point out that clowns don't NEED an anenome. If fact they do great without one. In an aquarium environment, it's more the anenome that needs the clown (or at least they help take care of it more so you don't have too).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: