Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
You could do a quick search here for Aiptasia! You will get a ton of information on how to rid your tank of them.
The hits or miss on all the different applications as well!!!!!!

How many do you have?

I use plain old White Vinegar out of my kitchen cabinet. Applied with a syringe directly into it's mouth. Gone right away...

johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I tried aiptasia-x for a while but they would come back. I got 3 peppermint shrimps in 34 gal. and have not seen any for over a month.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Do the research.:) As already stated above you must be sure it's aiptasia, and not mojanos. Also, all of the above recomendations are hit or miss. What works for 1 doesn't always work for the next person.
As to peppermint shrimps you need to make sure you don't have fish that will eat them, and they don't always work out either.:) I placed peppermint shrimps in my reef, and they did nothing.:( I also put a CB fish in, and it also did nothing. I finally got rid of the 2 aiptasias with the syringe, and white vinegar which cost me all of $1.59 for the bottle which I use for cooking anyway.;)

You still haven't answered my question.;) How many of these buggers do you have?

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Do the research.:) As already stated above you must be sure it's aiptasia, and not mojanos. Also, all of the above recomendations are hit or miss. What works for 1 doesn't always work for the next person.
As to peppermint shrimps you need to make sure you don't have fish that will eat them, and they don't always work out either.:) I placed peppermint shrimps in my reef, and they did nothing.:( I also put a CB fish in, and it also did nothing. I finally got rid of the 2 aiptasias with the syringe, and white vinegar which cost me all of $1.59 for the bottle which I use for cooking anyway.;)

You still haven't answered my question.;) How many of these buggers do you have?
You better lesson to Awibrandy on this one.....

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Instead of everyone posting what they think, he should be doing the research, and people should be posting links to what information on peppermints or any other process they are recommending. There are 100's of posts just like this one. Get the info from searching the forums on Aptasia Raffi, there will be ALOT more info on the pro's and cons to every method, and 100 more informative posts on other sites like reefcentral or another reef site. As well as what needs to be done. And yes you will have to look at 5+ different posts as a few of them went towards peppermints or aptasia X and so forth.

There are precautions to using peppermint shrimp, and aptasiaX and its results, and kalwasser nuking, and anything else. If he thought that aptasia were good coral then i think he needs WAAAY more info before trying any method. The only way to know enough to use something is to look and read and do the time learning. Using too much kalk paste can imbalance parameters, peppermints can go after other coral, aptasiaX can force the aptasia to release spores to spread the aptasia.....

As with anything you do, you should make informed descisions and know everything about all the choices before making a descision. These are living things, its an extremely complicated hobby, and there is too much invested to not do the legwork to know as much as possible about what you do to your tank.

Above all listen to Awilda, or there are worse consequences than having an aptasia ridden tank.....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: