BNagle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This will be my first large reef tank build and am going to need all the advise and help I can get. I will be posting many pictures to document my progress feel free to comment or make suggestions.

The Tank dimensions are 72" x 24" x 30" (Acrylic)

I have a 75g tank that I will be using as the sump. This will go in the room behind the tank.

Equipment as of now (already ordered or have currently)

Pump: Iwaki MD70RLT
Protein Skimmer:Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 External Cone
Controller: Neptune Systems Apex Aquacontrolle
UV Sterilizer: Aqua Ultraviolet 25 Watt 3/4 inch W/ Wiper UV Sterilizer

The first step of this process was building the stand. PICS TO COME

BNagle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi, good luck. I am in the planning stages of either a 220 or 300. Why did you decide on acrylic?

The major reason I went with acrylic was because I got a great deal on it and couldn't pass up the opportunity. If you decide to go glass I recommend starfire glass (so much clearer due to the lower iron content).

BNagle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
DIY Stand Pics

Pictures of the stand. It is stained and has several coats of poly

Attachments

• IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1697.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1699.jpg
    IMG_1699.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1709.jpg
    IMG_1709.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 204
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 227

BNagle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am in the process of setting up my RO/DI system (Bulk Reef Supply). Does anyone know a place where I can get water storage containers? I need a larger one for my mixing tank and then a relatively small one (20-25 gallons) for freshwater top off.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Can you explain the design and function of your sump for us? You're obviously running an external skimmer, so none of the chambers are a skimmer chamber.
It appears your display overflow runs into the right side of the sump, then it flows into the next chamber, maybe a fuge, then another chamber, maybe another fuge, then into the return chamber?

Best of luck with your new setup.
Russ

BTW, if your chamber all the way on the left is your return chamber (external return pump), the last glass baffle is wasting space. It won't serve any purpose as it is an underflow baffle. If it were an overflow baffle it would be ok.

Last edited:

BNagle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can you explain the design and function of your sump for us? You're obviously running an external skimmer, so none of the chambers are a skimmer chamber.
It appears your display overflow runs into the right side of the sump, then it flows into the next chamber, maybe a fuge, then another chamber, maybe another fuge, then into the return chamber?

Best of luck with your new setup.
Russ

BTW, if your chamber all the way on the left is your return chamber (external return pump), the last glass baffle is wasting space. It won't serve any purpose as it is an underflow baffle. If it were an overflow baffle it would be ok.

The water will flow in from the 90 degree angles and then there will be 1" PVC extending it closer to the bottom of the sump. The water will flow over the first baffle and through filter pads / filter floss held up by egg crate.

The next section will be used for live rock as well as my feed pump for the external skimmer. The return from the skimmer will also be placed back into this section.

The next area will be my refugium with miracle mud and algae but no live rock as it will just accumulate detritus. I plan to add one last baffle before my it enters my return pump, I just ran out of glass.

Thanks for your input!

BNagle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
In the process of researching live rock. Does anyone have any suggestions on wether to get cured live rock or dry rock? and the best place to order it online/find it locally?

Im leaning towards dry rock to avoid any unwanted parasites or critters tagging along and growing in my tank

Thanks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: