loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I tried AA and all it did was make my skimmer go nuts.
Rich brought this up in the coloring SPS thread. I've experienced the same thing when dosing amino acids.
Supposidly, you can add sugar to your tank (read more on RC) to remove nitrate, they talk about the sugar making the skimmer go crazy and that the skimmer is removing the nitrate. The lable of AZNO3 (a nitrate removal liquid), says that within 3 days of using, skimmers will go nuts and that is the skimmer removing nitrate.
Everyone please keep in mind that I did 2 large water changes and then changed 10% a week over the next 3 weeks.
I was unable to keep NO3 down. Water changes got me acceptable, then I started with the amino acids. Since then, my nitrate was 20ppm and has steadily dropped down over the last few weeks, now under 10ppm.
I'm not saying the amino acids are to thank for the nitrate drop, keep in mind that I did other things which I consider dropped my nitrates, but has anyone here experimented with the sugar? AZNO3? Amino Acids? Anyone think it's possible that the skimmer is taking more? Any relation between the 3?

Last edited:

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
The theory on sugar (sucrose) is that bacteria use it to grow, and with their growth they use nitrate also. Then the HUGE bacterial population stimulated to form by the sucrose is removed via the skimmer.

All I can say is that I will prove or disprove this myth or fact shortly through true science. So we will see, :D .

Last edited:

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Rich, I am assuming that you have seen my bacterial analysis thread. I am waiting for the samples to come back to me. I highly recommend you follow that thread. It will lead to many scientific facts regarding our reef tanks.

For example: I have already show with my own tank, that the bacterioplankton population is 10-100 times less than in nature.

Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Solbby, cool... I was really wondering if the 3 had a relation. Is AZNO3 nothing but a bottle of sugar water or is it a chemical that basically alters test kits? Do the amino acids we're using contain a certain amounts of sucrose?
Do you think you'll test more than just sugar and zeovit?

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Solbby, cool... I was really wondering if the 3 had a relation. Is AZNO3 nothing but a bottle of sugar water or is it a chemical that basically alters test kits? Do the amino acids we're using contain a certain amounts of sucrose?
Do you think you'll test more than just sugar and zeovit?
Chris, first please call me Shaun.

To answer your question, I really don't know. Since I don't know what is specifically in the product your are referring too, I have no idea. And that is the problem with this hobby, there is so much "voodoo science" that it is hard to know what works and what doesn't.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Chris and Rich, these are specifiically the questions I hope to answer with the help of Christine/Randy/Kedd/Pierce/Sanjay:

1. Does the bacterioplankton of a reef tank compare to the natural environment?
2. How does husbandry affect this bacterial population?
3. Does bacterioplankton get affected by the very equipment that we put on reef tanks for nutrient depletion, i.e. skimmers, pumps, etc.
4. Finally, I want to put to rest the debate regarding protein skimmers removing bacteria in that I would like to know if they do or don't effectively remove bacteria, and if this is a good thing?
5. As an aside I would like to know if zeovit tanks have different bacterial populations and amounts.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Chris et al,

I wrote an article years ago (1998? my first article actually) about my anecdotal experiences using AZNO3. I believe it is available somewhere on the web. In short, the contents/active ingredients are cryptic as Shaun indicates, but it is speculated to contain some form of sugar and perform as Shaun described. In my experience ( I used it twice) it does work and work well, and does not simply skew test kits. How it works is another story:)

Randy

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Dean, with AZNO3, I hear your water clouds for the first few days. Did that happen to you?
How is your skimmer reacting?
are you using filter socks and if so, are they clogging faster like they say?
Randy, Shaun, Dean... thanks for the links, I'll check them out.
BTW, my own little disclaimer for this thread... in no way am I trying to say AA, AZNO3 or sugar do or do not do anything for the tank. I'm not trying to influence anyone to do this. This thread started out wondering if there is a relation between the 3.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Dean, with AZNO3, I hear your water clouds for the first few days. Did that happen to you?
How is your skimmer reacting?
are you using filter socks and if so, are they clogging faster like they say?

I experienced no clouding. It's hard to say how the skimmer is reacting, because I also recently performed the recirculating modification. So it's definitely pulling more stuff (less brown though). The socks are filling up with dying hair algae. :birthday:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I experienced no clouding. It's hard to say how the skimmer is reacting, because I also recently performed the recirculating modification. So it's definitely pulling more stuff (less brown though). The socks are filling up with dying hair algae.
All that sounds good to me. FWIW, my nitrate tested somewhere between 40 and 100ppm (depending on the test kit) in an sps reef. I don't think you've got too much to worry about. It's suprising how quickly they react though. My color has brightend up even since you were here.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: