noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
how does an MRI work?

it said organic mineral and

inorganic material,

not molecule....

just to clarify, try rereading the post.

MRI works based on the principle that electron pairs spin in anti-parallel orientation, so when you apply a magnetic feild across a sample i.e. a human body some of the electrons will align with the applied magnetic field and others anti to the field. Then a pulse of energy is passed thru the sample giving the anti-oriented electrons enough energy to over come the magnetic field to becoming parallel to the field and when the energy passing thru the sample is stopped the electrons flip back to their original state. That differential in energy produces teh images that you see ;)

disclaimer...don't hold this against me, haven't used a NMR machine for a while :D

Last edited:

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
oh plus a better definition of organic mineral.
Organic Minerals
The organic minerals are a rare group of minerals containing hydrocarbons (compounds of hydrogen AND carbon) in their structure. These "minerals" are not scientifically classified as true minerals by some authorities, since the proper definition of a mineral excluded organic substances

As quoted from minerals.net

reefkprZ

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or?gan?ic (?r-g
abreve.gif
n
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
k)
adj. 1. Of, relating to, or derived from living organisms: organic matter.
2. Of, relating to, or affecting a bodily organ: an organic disease.
3. a. Of, marked by, or involving the use of fertilizers or pesticides that are strictly of animal or vegetable origin: organic vegetables; an organic farm.
b. Raised or conducted without the use of drugs, hormones, or synthetic chemicals: organic chicken; organic cattle farming.
c. Serving organic food: an organic restaurant.
d. Simple, healthful, and close to nature: an organic lifestyle.

4. a. Having properties associated with living organisms.
b. Resembling a living organism in organization or development; interconnected: society as an organic whole.

5. Constituting an integral part of a whole; fundamental.
6. Law Denoting or relating to the fundamental or constitutional laws and precepts of a government or an organization.
7. Chemistry Of or designating carbon compounds.
//////////////////////////////////////////

just look at definition 7

OF or designating carbon compounds. YES a carbon based compound IS organic.......

Last edited:

reefkprZ

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MRI works based on the principle that electron pairs spin in anti-parallel orientation, so when you apply a magnetic feild across a sample i.e. a human body some of the electrons will align with the applied magnetic field and others anti to the field. Then a pulse of energy is passed thru the sample giving the anti-oriented electrons enough energy to over come the magnetic field to becoming parallel to the field and when the energy passing thru the sample is stopped the electrons flip back to their original state. That differential in energy produces teh images that you see ;)

disclaimer...don't hold this against me, haven't used a NMR machine for a while :D
great description. not sure I completly understand it, but it gives me a basis for research.

reefkprZ

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh plus a better definition of organic mineral.
Organic Minerals
The organic minerals are a rare group of minerals containing hydrocarbons (compounds of hydrogen AND carbon) in their structure. These "minerals" are not scientifically classified as true minerals by some authorities, since the proper definition of a mineral excluded organic substances

As quoted from minerals.net
is calcium a hydro carbon? I did not think so. please correct me if I am wrong.

noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
well according to my chem book i got lying around, it states "all organic compounds are derived from a group of compounds known as hydrocarbons"

by that definition calcium carbonate is not organic becuase the carbon from the carbonate part is derived from CO2

reefkprZ

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAIT

wtf are we going on about>?

you guys can choose to believe a protien skimmer will only skim if there are amino acids present if you want, I give up.

reefkprZ

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i never said a skimmer will only skim if there are amino acids present, i said it'll skim any hydrophobic or amphilic molecule present
me too, I just happened to get into my cups a little, and kept going (sorry) if you look back at post #33

this guy is convinced without aminos nothing will be skimmed... or rather , fractionated out of the water... the whole basis of what I was trying to show is that it doesnt matter, one of the first points I put out was hydrophobic tendencies.......

Last edited:

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Wasn't the whole basis if calcium will get skimmed?
noodle probably got me that other things will get skimmed, but I still stand that calcium won't. And calcium is also inorganic!
Oh well, whatever, this thread isn't getting anywhere. I'm out

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: