Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Now I know that I have always said that the best all around food for our animals is whole fish followed by blackworms, but I lied. :(
Live blackworms is actually the third best food.
The absolute best food for our animals, bar none, not even if you go to Mars is Salmon eggs.
Salmon happens to be one of the healthiest foods we as humans can eat because of the Omega 3 oils and other essential fish oils,
But an exceptionally large percentage of that oil is in their eggs.
Yes Salmon Cavior is relatively cheap (as far as fish food goes) and available in Asian markets. It is sold fresh so I don't know if you could get it in the mid west. If anyone lives in the mid west, let me know if you can get it there.
It sells here in NY for almost $40.00 a pound which sounds expensive but it is only about a quarter of what frozen mysis sells for. I just bought 4 ounces for under $10.00 which will last me months.
Each fish only needs one egg which are about a quarter inch across and brimming with salt water fish oil.
My bubble corals, cup corals and any other coral with a mouth just gobbled them up. My bangai cardinal ate four of them and can't hardly close his mouth. They must be target fed.
The large hermit crab attempted to tear the bubble apart in an attempt to steal an egg but I am a little bigger than him and I wrestled it away from him. He was sulking in a corner so I gave him his own salmon egg.
These can only last in the refrigerator maybe two days and must be frozen. I put them in those little plastic trays that mysis come in after they are empty and freeze them.
Asian markets also sell a much smaller fish egg for half that price so depending on the size of your fish you can custom feed these things. I only give this to them a couple of times a week as I do blackworms because they are very rich.
They are even better than worms because besides the oil they supply calcium and every other thing a fish would need. After all, a salmon egg is essentially a compressed Salmon.
:D
tank007-1.jpg

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I would imagine any seafood market that sells fish can collect roe for you. They normally throw it out especially from types of fish that the roe is not normally used like makeral, stripped bass, bluefish etc. Many fresh fish contain eggs.
I use this to feed eggs and everything else

plasticbulb.jpg

tank005.jpg

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
lol i meant from saltwater fish, my wife works at a seafood place and he gets stuff daily so gonna have him see if i can get some from him, so either ya have to freeze it or use it within 2 days ?

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Almost ALL Commercial caviar is frozen when I purchase it. Caviar holds very well when frozen.:shhh:

Yeah, they will not last long in the refrigerator. Some of the eggs say "don't freeze" but I think thats for human consumption as the eggs may not stay exactly whole after you defrost them.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
That's a great idea Paul. Where do you buy them? (What Asian Market?) I'm in New Hyde Park almost weekly, and I don't live far from there.

Thanks for the great ideas!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: