• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Cherrycorals

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Here is the new plasma bulb retro fitted into a Lumenarc reflector. This is brand new technology and we are going to test it over my new tank to see how various corals respond. Chris plans to develop it for the aquarium once there is more data.

My pub room tank is 95"x42"x26" and I honestly think I can get away with two of these lights. The spread and intensity is unreal.

I will have some hard data to share later.

The unit(that little dot in the middle is the bulb)
010.jpg

Just firing up, its completely dimmable. Its a very white 10k look when running full tilt but as its dimmed down the color goes to a very nice blue kinda like this.
012.jpg

Its getting warmed up now (on for roughly 60 seconds)
015.jpg

There is alot of ambient light in this room but this light outshines it.
017.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

I am told that this is more energy efficient than metal halides with a very long bulb life.

Many thanks to Chris from Aqua Illuminations for letting me play with this!!!!

More info to come and of course pics over the tank once I have some water in it. This will be a combination build thread/Plasma bulb thread.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Wow :eek:! A little bulb like that throwing off so much light :eek:rangehat is very impressive. What is the wattage and it's equivalence to metal halide? Keep us posted when it becomes available. Thanks Todd for sharing :tongue1:.

Cherrycorals

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
At full tilt is is 6k but it is completely dimmable. Dim it down a bit and you can hit any combination of white and blue that you want.

Of course its going to make its way over to Sanjay at some point if he is willing.

Here is a pic of my ceiling, pretty amazing that this cute little bulb can light up a 18'x24' room.
020.jpg

This unit consists of the bulb and housing, a driver, and power supply. None of which gets any warmer than your typical halide.

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
i guess this is what you were talking about. are these going into retros? or is there going to be a fixture

Last edited:

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
You have got to be kidding!!! One bulb for a tank that size. That's terrific:tongue1:. Hope to see more pics. When will it be in productions?

Cherrycorals

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I'll probably put two of these on here. That will be a whopping 560 watts for a 460 gallon aquarium!!!

Water in a few more days.........silicone cure time I am told. :(

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: