• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
solbby said:
Now you guys are just scaring me!

Shaun it is that scary. Come hang out with Dave and I for a Day and we'll show you something that you'll never forget!

Good news is that they dont seem to effect millis + sylos (and montis). So you can still have a nice liooking tank with just these species :D

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
This has gotten to a point where no one is gonna trade with anyone I guess.

Is the only way to tell if there a aefw is to take an acro out and dip it in an Flatworm exit with 30x dosage?? I'm assuming the worst looking acro in the tank, right?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Tom, you can freswater dip (wrecks the coral), high dosage of FWE, or use a Levimansole dip to get them free of the coral. If you have a load of them you can turkey baste the coral in the tank and many will blow free.
The coral doesn't have to look terrible to be infected. This is why many guys don't know they have them.

skatezen

If You pick it, Flick it!
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Actually the do in fact infect millis (Acropora Millipora). So far they are only known to eat Acros everything else is safe(montis, stylo, ect.) If it starts with Acropora ______, then it is fair game to the AEFW. I have 3 Milis that are infected. FWE and Freshwater dips are not proven to kill the AEFW. Levamisole and QT is the only proven way to rid your tank of these pests. Granted FWE and FW dips will rid the infected coral temporarily, there is no guarantee that these two treatments kill ALL AEFW.

skatezen

If You pick it, Flick it!
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
ctxmonitor said:
This has gotten to a point where no one is gonna trade with anyone I guess.

Is the only way to tell if there a aefw is to take an acro out and dip it in an Flatworm exit with 30x dosage?? I'm assuming the worst looking acro in the tank, right?

No just blast it with a turkey baster. If you have them you will see white/cream colored thing fly off. Or you can fill a specimen container and shake a coral in that. Then hold it over white paper and you can see them easily.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
skatezen, Thanks for the info about the millis.

as for the freshwater dips, its does kill the aefw. A few of us have done it and it works FAST....faster than TMPC or Levimanisole. Only problem is you have a 50/50 chance of the coral not making it.

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Tom, you can freswater dip (wrecks the coral), high dosage of FWE, or use a Levimansole dip to get them free of the coral. If you have a load of them you can turkey baste the coral in the tank and many will blow free.
The coral doesn't have to look terrible to be infected. This is why many guys don't know they have them.

good to know.. As you say it so hard to tell, its good to just take a sps colony(s) out of your tank and put a fwe dip to see if you are infact infected or not.

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Tom get some TMPC and dip everything new that goes into your tank

I would definitely dip the any acro into a chemical dip after what you guys have to go through.

What is Levimansole and where do people get these stuff?

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
ok for a safe way on testing AEFW is use one bowl of salt water and one seperate bowl of freshwater then one squirt of each in a sequence with a turkey baster one after the other. the flatworms will get blasted with freshwater and fall off usually. but this method doesnt work to well, but worked for me.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Tonight I dipped four acro colonies that look competely heathly in an extremely high dose of flatworm exit. I would say it was 50x at least. All the micro stars were vaporized within a minute of touching this mixture, :sgrin: .

If I have the AEFW I would have expected at least some movement by these guys when the acro was placed in the treated water, however, nothing but stars and pods met their end.

ANYWAY I was 90% convinced that I was AEFW free before today, but after reading Rich and Daves warning I decided to go the extra 10% for my own peace of mind. I can now say with certainly: I'M AEFW FREE! :birthday: :pimp: :eek:rangehat :thrash: :beer:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
solbby said:
ANYWAY I was 90% convinced that I was AEFW free before today, but after reading Rich and Daves warning I decided to go the extra 10% for my own peace of mind. I can now say with certainly: I'M AEFW FREE!

dave will still be 99.9% sure you have them :Up_to_som

can i get some dip :scratchch:letitallo

Kedd

25   0   0
I also dipped 3 corals and flushed with a baster in fresh water for about 5 mins each and nothing but pods.
I don't recommend this because the corals did not do well, but they were the test pilots I didn't want anymore.

Kedd

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Kedd said:
I also dipped 3 corals and flushed with a baster in fresh water for about 5 mins each and nothing but pods.
I don't recommend this because the corals did not do well, but they were the test pilots I didn't want anymore.

Kedd

holey you dipped them long kedd LOL

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
ctxmonitor said:
I would definitely dip the any acro into a chemical dip after what you guys have to go through.

What is Levimansole and where do people get these stuff?
Levimansole hydrochloride is a dewormer; it also has a commercial name Levasole. For AEFW, you dip the coral for 5 hours @ 40ppm (could do it for shorter time but this is to be safe). But there are many types of flatworms and most of them require a less potent dose. That is possibly why a regular dose of FWE exit works on certain flatworms and not others and can be used in the tank (low amount of levimansole). You can remove levimansole with carbon but its not a good idea to do a large dose in your tank. Forget the fresh water dips, this stuff works. It also kills monti eating nudis, so if you make a dip with this and another dip with interceptor you should be good.

Here's a quote from Mitch Carl in this thread,

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=5907829#post5907829 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mjcarl
<Will this work with the fw's that lay eggs?
<Also, how do you measure out 40 ppm?

Yes, it will work for the egg laying flatworm.

To calculate drug dose use the following formula:

For 100% active drug:

volume in liters of tank x ppm (drug dosage) / 1000mg/g=#of grams required of the drug

For drugs that have less than 100% active drug, you take the percentage of the active drug (Levamisole hydrochloride is 80% active w/ 20% inert ingredients) and multiply the percentage to the 1000mg/g. So...

volume in L x ppm / 800mg/g = grams of drug

So if your treating a 10 gal tank w/ 40ppm Levamisole its:

37.8L x 40ppm / 800mg/g= 1.89g of Levamisole

Keep in mind, I'm not a vet, I just play one on TV.

Mitch
This is the a great thread to read. RC gave another thread totm probably because this one was made by SeanT but read this one first.

You can buy levimansole from here and here.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: