Noah2910

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact, in lot of cases a well cared fish lives longer in an aquarium than in the wild. The reason for that is the absence of predators. Take the example of tetras. In wild, it’s lifespan id one year. But in an aquarium, they can easily live upto 2–3 years.

When the fish seem to be dying early in aquariums, something will be wrong with the setup. These are my top three cause …

1. This one is common for beginners. They don’t have any idea about the nitrogen cycle. And they simply buy a fish tank and fish on the same day, go home and set it up.
  2. Ammonia spikes. Even in a cycled tank, you can have occasional ammonia spikes due to overfeeding.
  3. Incompatible tank mates. If you put a too docile fish with a very aggressive cichlid, it will get harassed and eventually die due to stress.
In short, if you do enough research before buying a tank or a new type of fish, they will live longer.

thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I believe long quarantine and medications is the main reason many people in this hobby have problems keeping fish for their natural lifespan.

That and not feeding fish food with natural living bacteria and instead relying totally on store bought food.
Please!! Enough!!

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I think sometimes there are parasitic pathogens hidden and will attack new fish. Depending on how strong its immunity will determine survival rate. The old fishes are not affected because they have already built up immunity for it.

Last edited:

Timfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add stress can have a cumulative effect and individual fish, even in the same species, will handle it differently. In response to Paul B's thoughts I'd have to agree to an extent. I do think quarantining is essential having seen unquarantined fish introduce diseases that wiped out established fish. But in my maintenance business I experienced much better survival rates of QTed fish and far less problems in DTs using maricultured live rock or well established rock from a DT to establish quarantine tanks with only oversized UV sterilizers (~15w≤60G) and not using any medications to propholacticly dealing with parasites and bacterial infections.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: