naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is hard to be positive when one of your own bites the dust.
But, really, truly things are going to get better and very soon.
The economy in Canada that went into a recession 8 months ago is improving.
Real Estate sales are now near record. Prices of homes are slowly rising.
Sales of motor vehicles are now up. (Mostly Canadian/USA made) Foreign imports are down.
Documented business optimism is high.
Consumer confidence is rising. You can see it on the streets, bars, shopping centres and restaurants.

Why is this important to the USA. It is important because Canada is the USA's largest trading partner.

Hopefully your Government will now deal with the financial greed that put your country and the rest of the world in this mess.
Be positive every day, work hard, smile and the confidence that is needed to turn your country around will return.
I am a hobbyist, and I can't think of a better first purchase of a confident hobbyist than a new fish.
Hang in there all!
Catherham, I am very sorry. Better days are in your future. The most important thing now is your health. Take care.
Love ya
Wayne

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wayne are you sure you don't live in North Korea instead of Canada. You must be in a complete news vacuum up there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so glad I'm not the only one who was left scratching their head and wondering the same thing after reading that.

kylen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wayne,

Do you actually believe what you just wrote? Maybe you should take time and speak to the owners of your local LFS. With the exception of a very few, most are feeling the pinch. Some have already closed and some are teetering on the brink. Keep in mind that here in Canada, we lag the US by about two years. I would guess that the worst is yet to come.

I spoke with one owner last week and he said his business is down compared to last year. He attributed this to the fact that a great number of his regular customers are no longer regular. Further to that, most of them were in construction. All other owners are saying similar things. Didn't Petcetera just declare bankruptcy and will be closing their stores by the end of September? Wasn't this due to the economy?

Take off your rose colored glasses. Your world may be just fine, but in the real world it is so much different.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JennM":3dyf540i said:
Our service is down a bit. Some have given up their tanks, some have cut the frequency of our visits, but we're hanging on to most of our customers. Fortunately no real issues with slow payers - I did have that problem in the past, but those are all "pay as you go" now.

I've seen an increase in small (nano) type tank sales - but a decrease in larger tank sales. Sign of the times.

Also, back in the day, a show sized coral colony would be out the door in a heartbeat - nowadays smaller colonies and frags seem to be the way to go.

Things change, and so must we. Those of us that can adapt and ride out this downturn will be that much stronger when things get better.

Jenn

Hi Jenn:) Hope u guys continue to do well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kylen":2w088sni said:
Wayne,

Do you actually believe what you just wrote? Maybe you should take time and speak to the owners of your local LFS. With the exception of a very few, most are feeling the pinch. Some have already closed and some are teetering on the brink. Keep in mind that here in Canada, we lag the US by about two years. I would guess that the worst is yet to come.

I spoke with one owner last week and he said his business is down compared to last year. He attributed this to the fact that a great number of his regular customers are no longer regular. Further to that, most of them were in construction. All other owners are saying similar things. Didn't Petcetera just declare bankruptcy and will be closing their stores by the end of September? Wasn't this due to the economy?

Take off your rose colored glasses. Your world may be just fine, but in the real world it is so much different.

Your my favorite Canadian now :)

And SM and Dizzy are my favorite Americans this week :)

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gresh, I thought I was your favourite Canadian... :( *pout*

Brandon: Thanks! We're keeping on, keeping on... it's all we can do :D

Jenn

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kylen,
The information I posted is accurate. Read the Conference Board of Canada report, Desaultiers report on auto sales in Canada and Royal -Lepage Real Estate report on
Sales and read a newspaper once and a while. And no Kylen I do not agree with you that the worst is yet to come. The worst is over.
Petcetera was in trouble long ago. Their prices we high, their service poor and they were hardly a LFS. Did they keep marine?
One LFS (not a customer of yours) has doubled their store size in the last year.
One LFS reported an increase in sales to date of 17% over the last year. I had contacted them before my first post to get that information so my post would be accurate. So yes I did take the time to talk to at least one LFS.
If you are not seeing improvement in your business you need to revise your business plan (if you have one).

The purpose of my post in this thread was to let our American friends know that IMO a turnaround was soon, and that Canada was their largest trading partner (most don't know that)

If I am wrong, and, the situation in the US is still so desperate, I am very sorry to hear that.

I still maintain that the first thing that a reefer who has regained his confidence is to go out and buy a fish or coral and that is good for business.
Wayne

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kylen":12p5dd7e said:
JennM":12p5dd7e said:
Gresh, I thought I was your favourite Canadian... :( *pout*

I must be his favourite Canadian still living up here. :lol:

That's what I meant... but I would have said favorite :lol:

I still love you Jenn :)

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feelin' the love.

I think Wayne is still feelin' the Kool Aid.

One store having an increase in sales does not prosperity make. Were there other stores in the area that failed? That could attribute to an increase in sales for that entity.

I had my first customer yesterday who came in as a result of one of the other stores being closed... she went there first (closer proximity to her home) only to find it was shut down - so she had to travel another 15 miles to get a couple of packs of fish food. That's good for me - not so good for the customer - but I made her feel welcome (something the other store wasn't quite so good at) gave her a loyalty rewards card, and she left with a smile - and she'll be back :)

Wayne - I think you should fasten your seat belt. My Mom came to visit recently - she still lives in Quebec... and what she was telling me about local economics and stuff bore absolutely no resemblance to your notion of what's going on up there.

Jenn

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wayne is a typical member of the liberal elite. Probably lives in a gated community and goes through life with blinders on......... rarely interacting with the working class (except in master/servant relationship) .......... and he is totally unware of the unintended consequences when idealistic liberal programs meet reality. He appears to suffer from an affliction know as white guilt which is fairly common in those born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JennM":3d50lsva said:
I'm feelin' the love.

I think Wayne is still feelin' the Kool Aid.

One store having an increase in sales does not prosperity make. Were there other stores in the area that failed? That could attribute to an increase in sales for that entity.

I had my first customer yesterday who came in as a result of one of the other stores being closed... she went there first (closer proximity to her home) only to find it was shut down - so she had to travel another 15 miles to get a couple of packs of fish food. That's good for me - not so good for the customer - but I made her feel welcome (something the other store wasn't quite so good at) gave her a loyalty rewards card, and she left with a smile - and she'll be back :)

Wayne - I think you should fasten your seat belt. My Mom came to visit recently - she still lives in Quebec... and what she was telling me about local economics and stuff bore absolutely no resemblance to your notion of what's going on up there.

Jenn

Not to mention most business's lie about just how well their doing :lol: Would you tell Wayne your business details like that? :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dizzy":3u2b5qgz said:
Wayne is a typical member of the liberal elite. Probably lives in a gated community and goes through life with blinders on......... rarely interacting with the working class (except in master/servant relationship) .......... and he is totally unware of the unintended consequences when idealistic liberal programs meet reality. He appears to suffer from an affliction know as white guilt which is fairly common in those born with a silver spoon in their mouth.
:shock: :lol: You sound just like my mother!

kylen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JennM":ugsaukp6 said:
... and what she was telling me about local economics and stuff bore absolutely no resemblance to your notion of what's going on up there.

I think that is why I tend to reply to mostly reply to Wayne's postings. His view of the world seems very distorted from reality. His notion of Canadians being holier than thou, is nauseating and embarassing to me.

naesco":ugsaukp6 said:
Kylen,
The information I posted is accurate. Read the Conference Board of Canada report, Desaultiers report on auto sales in Canada and Royal -Lepage Real Estate report on
Sales and read a newspaper once and a while. And no Kylen I do not agree with you that the worst is yet to come. The worst is over.

I do read newspapers, thank you for the tip, however, I do tend to look at reports with a more critical eye than you. One must take into account biases from the authors and/or publishers. The Conference Board tends to paint a rosy outlook for the Canadian economy. I don't believe that they were even forecasting a recession for Canada until we were in the middle of it. If they got the recession wrong, how would they be correct in their current economic forecasts.

Unemployment is still rising, bankrupticies are up, BC still has the worst savings rate in North America, deliquencies on debt payments are up, yet people are still willing to jump into massively overpriced real estate and take on more personal debt.

Yes there are "green shoots" out there, however there doesn't seem to be much in the way of water and fertilizer to help them grow. How can you have a recovery when unemployment keeps rising?

Petcetera was in trouble long ago. Their prices we high, their service poor and they were hardly a LFS. Did they keep marine?

Fish only accounted for 2% of their gross sales. The point I was making was to point out the effect of the recession in general, not necessarily on marine stores.

One LFS (not a customer of yours) has doubled their store size in the last year.
One LFS reported an increase in sales to date of 17% over the last year. I had contacted them before my first post to get that information so my post would be accurate. So yes I did take the time to talk to at least one LFS.

One LFS is not a true representative sample size for the aquarium industry. Yes there are some that are doing well in this economy, but many others are struggling, especially now with the combination of the poor economy and the summer doldrums. Wayne, you need to expand your horizons and look north of the river, or over the Rockies to get a true gauge of the industry, that you clearly are ill-informed. While one store is doubling in size, I know another who is moving in an effort to lower their direct overhead cost.

As for reporting sales growth of 17%, big deal. I can tell you my sales are up 143%. Does that mean anything? Just one persons word, which may or may not be the truth. At the end of the day, it's that bottom line number that counts. That store could be reporting lower net profit even with 17% higher sales.

If you are not seeing improvement in your business you need to revise your business plan (if you have one).

I need a business plan? Since when? Again, Wayne, thanks for the advice, although I am doing just fine on my own. But, if I do need some, maybe I can drop you a pm. If people are not buying fish, the best business plan in the world will not be worth the paper it's written on.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kylen

1. How you interpreted my original posting as my suggestion that Canadians are holier than Americans is beyond me.
The point of the thread was that things are moving positive in Canada and as USA is our largest trading partner, the USA stands to benefit.
2. Business bankruptcies are down 16.2% over the previous year.
3. The fact that your sales are up 14% proves my point. Congratulations.
4. The thread is Recession in the marine industry. Petcetera is not in the marine industry.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dizzy":1ory6ra6 said:
Dizzy
What you posted could not be further from the truth.

1. Liberal???? I am a member of the Conservative Party of Canada and always have been. I have held top positions in Conservative youth both in the Province and at University. I was recently asked to be part of an advisory group to the Conservative Party.
2. Gated community????live in a rented 900 sq ft apartment until I can find a home. Ours sold in 3 weeks above the original listed price. I have never lived in a gated community and they do not exist in Canada.
3. White Guilt???? Canadians are colour-blind. The colour of one's skin is not an issue and is irrelevant.
4. Silver spoon???? My father arrived in Canada from the Ukraine with nothing. He worked as a labourer for the Canadian National Railways all his working life. My mother worked as a chambermaid. They put 3 children through University.

It is apparent to all that your dated right wing thinking is not relevant in America today. American have overwhelmingly elected a black President. He has pledged to bring in long overdue programmes to benefit all not only the rich like Universal Medicare (all Canadians, rich or poor view universal medicare as a fundamental human right). He has pledged to normalize relations with America's neighbour, Cuba.

Wayne

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: