House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
LandFear,

I my opinion, I would listen to people who have successful tanks that have what you are looking to do - and take heed to people who say this person is the one to go to - make sure you know what to do first, evaluate the person's knowledge you go to and validate (thanks chief) what you have learned, and lean on them to get to the point you want to.

Here is my last tank (which I am in the process of rebuilding since I moved about 14 weeks ago) - it is a mixed reef which started out as a 30g softie tank 6 yrs ago. It grew into an sps dominant 180g mixed underwater garden with LPS, zoos, shrooms, etc.

My return flow was via 2-1" returns at 1100 gph. Inside the tank, I had a Vortech and a TUNZE 6100 on a single controller pointing directly at each other creating the turbulant and random flow (thanks Fritz). For an SPS dominant tank, the SPS guru's on this site would swear there wasn't enough flow - no offense to them, they are right, but proof is in the pudding - my flow worked for me (and for my animals).

Additionally, stable water quality is more than a PO4 test or a this or a that - it's more about a stable environment that the animals you expect to keep will respond to. If you drop your PO4 levels too much and your tank pastels in color, well then, that was not the "right" thing to do for your animals.

Take everyones advice - start moving towards your "plan" and adjust the levels to what your animals will respond to. There is a "sweet spot" in everyones tank - BUT there are standards as well - water quality is the best foundation.

Hope that helps,

House

yf1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh well, I guess I am a bigmouth

did I point to "your name"?!

not to go personal, but there is a saying:
"guilty people always feel hurt"

and yes, me, and you and all MR will enjoy the tanks, and help others, on a nice way, with a "warm hart" bringing in the real feel and joy what it means to be real reefer.

good night!

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
who is this wingo? i must find him
teehee.gif

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
did I point to "your name"?!
Yeah you did.

and yes, me, and you and all MR will enjoy the tanks, and help others, on a nice way, with a "warm hart" bringing in the real feel and joy what it means to be real reefer.

GFY, I mean nothing derogatory by telling you to "enjoy your tank" nor anything derogatory when I tell "someone good luck with your tank" and you point it out to me like it is meant that way. Last help I'll give to you, it's spelled "heart".

Land enjoy.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Do you have any pictures of your 270g Custom system?

It won't be completed until mide June, so until then I hope yf1 will not be releasing any info about the system. It will be in my company formal profile when it is done. So call me Charlie if you are curious about it AFTER THE PROJECT IS DONE

Back to topic pls.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I think you could definitely try montipora. Before doing it I would add the Rio 2500. I'd probably put it in the center on one end with the attachment that widens the flow and put the other 2 powerheads on the opposite end. Pointing each cross tank towards opposite corners. This should mix up the flow a bit. Secondly, I believe that tank is 30" deep. I would keep any SPS in the top 12" of the aquarium to take advantage of the light that you have. Your 150w MH's and your PC's aren't enough to support SPS at the bottom of your tank.

I like your approach. Use whatever at hand instead of suggesting to change everything.

BTW Landfear, just make sure you realized the more EQ you put in, the more heat they will cause and I did not see you mentioned a chiller or someway or cooling.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I'm also "new" to MR, and the kind of impression I got here at the beginning, was: there are some "great" members on this forum, and they are some "ugly big mouth" members, and will never tolerate if you ask twice, do to not being sure what to do. and will make sure to take you away every bit of "confidents" like they are "hoooo knows what" and you are some kid just out of the pampers, not knowing a bit in "reefing",

Dear LandFEAR; if you need a truly honest person, with great blood, call up one of the best MR members: "WINGO" 347-739-2411 he is as I said "THE MAN" to talk to! He spends as much time as needed answering "ALL" ?stupid? questions as many times till "YOU" will be ready to give a course...

I my self was trying to go in to reef, and was not successful. the way "some" MR members treated me was "VERY brutal"

Till Wingo came and offered me his cell phone, came down to my app. , made his hands "wet" and helped me figuring what to do next, he spend by me 6 hours "Free"!
(see picture)

"Wingo" is a bigger professional compared to all this "big mouths", I ended ordering from Wingo a ?NEW 270Galon COSTOM SYSTEM" for about 8k!

"Yes" WINGO" is a SAMPLE what a MR member is to be!

And for your problems about heavy currents for the SPS: ask "Wingo", he will give you the RIGHT idea what will work for "YOU"

Thanks! And don?t never ever give up!

Enjoy reefing!

Thanks for yours way-to-kind words.

yf1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yah.. I Will do what ever it takes to get thinks right, even in can be the spending option, and with wingo, its very easy since he is very good in price, and I'm getting the most out of my hard earned money...

B.T.W. wingo is an "expert" in simple fresh water too... if you ever pop in to his store, take a look at his gallon fresh-plant tank, it will make your head spin... so my next tank will be a big nice fresh-plant tank,

why is his tank so outstanding?
I don't know if I may discos it on a salt water forum...

LandFEAR

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey wingo I do have a chiller on my tank and water stable at 78 to make up for extra heat from extra pumps

Thanks again to Yf1 and wingo and all the rest of you that merely look to help a brother out and not just discourage them and make them feel like they shouldnt post threads.

I do feel some people on this site just look to critique others and really dont care to actually help the individual, but from this thread you see the real members who pick you up when you down, and not just announce the "thread is close" because one of their friends misinterpreted something.

Thanks again, and hopefully this weekI will purchase my first sps using all my new knowledge and post a pic (If I ever figure out how to upload a pic on this site, it keeps failing)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: